The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is information overload derailing the human project? > Comments

Is information overload derailing the human project? : Comments

By Barry Spinks, published 8/4/2014

Have we stalled in a morass of information that is so vast that we no longer have the means to examine Information to make sound decisions?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The problem is not too much information, but complexity and obfuscation, completely opaque information substitution or opinion put about by complex rationalists, whose real goal is to to keep those who need to know, from ever acquiring accurate information?
Hence we have the antinuclear brigade, I believe, peddling their usual anti nuclear diatribe, based on facts that may have been true, during the fifties and sixties?
Or self serving politicians, who reveal everything but the actual facts, or who else's to blame, when things go badly?
There so much more, like "politically savy" media barons, who substitute carefully worded opinion in lieu of the facts?
A very wise very funny man, a Republican Senator, said relatively recently, on Q+A, at some point complexity always becomes fraud. Quote unquote
I could go on and on, but you get the picture?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 8 April 2014 1:00:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Rhrosty,

I agree, there is too much obfuscation and complexity. I think it’s a personal thing. We all have choices in relation to what information we accept and how much.

I disagree that there is <not too much information>>, I believe there is too much information for most of us to manage. There are many perspectives on just what it is we accept and hold close to our hearts, but in the end we all make choices and have to accept responsibility for those choices.

This is less to do with “what” information is available and more to do with how much we believe from available sources, what sources we use and whether or not these sources are exclusive to us.

If we really do feel comfortable with the volume of information, doesn’t this tell us we can indeed cope?

If on the other hand we are totally dependent upon certain sources, criticize others and their perspectives, then I would suggest that this tells us that we are not comfortable with managing alternate information and chose to be critical of it.

When we question the “motivation” of other perspectives, are we not telegraphing that these are a threat to us
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 8 April 2014 4:42:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One thing is certain and that is you cannot even begin to understand and respond to the almost overwhelming complexity of the modern world via the usual main-stream "official" media and sources of knowledge - especially TV.
And the daily "news"-papers, and most of the news-and-culture commentary/analysis magazines that can be found at your local newsagent. Possible exceptions being Nexus, New Dawn, and Uncensored.

Reality Sandwich http://www.realitysandwich.com provides all kinds of perspectives and tools that you wont find via the "official" media.
As does this website: http://www.dharmacafe.com

There are of course many more such sites too.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 8 April 2014 5:39:37 PM
You can never have too much information but the ruthless & deliberate overload of non-sensical crap such as sport, entertainment, celebrity hype, pop music, fashion etc are definitely dumbing down the recent/present generation. Those responsible are being revered & put on pedestals & they're loughing all the way to the bank because they know they don't have to cope with the morons they create in exchange for big money. Australian TV is one of the worst.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 9 April 2014 5:52:28 PM
This is the best article on OLO for Yonks.

Just read some of the comments above and it is obvious that many contributors are unable to handle the amount of information that is poured/force-fed into their small heads daily.

Everyone should have a tyre pressure device inserted into their ears so they can keep an eye on the pressure building inside their skulls. Abbott and America lovers should have two gauges for added safety.

Know-alls like Rrrrrrrosty need decompression chambers!
Posted by David G, Monday, 14 April 2014 10:26:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy