The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Choice' coerced > Comments

'Choice' coerced : Comments

By Debbie Garratt, published 27/3/2014

Today a young married woman, excited about being pregnant, can present to her doctor for her first prenatal appointment and be asked about whether she 'wants' the pregnancy as a matter of routine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
What absolute rubbish that women are denied choice and compelled to have abortions - and it is wilfully misleading to represent pro-choice as pro-abortion. I am pro-choice, and I would be very happy if better sex education, no coerced sex and access to contraception meant that every pregnancy was wanted and there were no abortions at all.
Posted by Candide, Thursday, 27 March 2014 12:59:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Divine_msn says:
'As for doctors asking "Is this what you want?" - It may be a question asked not for the purpose of getting the mother to an Abortion Clinic as the writer suggests, but to refer her to sources of help or counselling.'

I have not suggested the question comes with an intent of referral for a termination. Doctors themselves have stated a sense of professional pressure to offer termination even before discovering whether a pregnancy is considered a joy or a trauma to a woman.

I am suggesting that the very fact that we have moved to a situation where it is standard practise for every pregnancy to be considered a potential problem as opposed to being a natural and positive state, which it is for the majority, is an issue.

Divine_msn says

'Indeed a good many who for reason of their own health or because the foetus they carry has extreme abnormalities SHOULD opt for termination..'

It should be of concern that any person would apply the pressure of 'should' regarding termination, a judgement that I thought was to be made only by the woman herself? An example of my argument. Having said that, only around 3% of all terminations are undertaken for reason of foetal abnormality which include those which are easily surgically correctable such as a cleft palate, through to those which may be life limiting.

Only 50% of all late term (post 20wk) abortions are undertaken for reasons of foetal abnormality, with the other 50% for psychosocial reasons.

Rhrosty said:

'Not too hard to continue an education or employment, when pregnant!
[What about with a baby sucking on a teat?]
Surely you jest Debbie, or just don't live in the real world.'

What I said is that these women should not find it too hard.. in the sense that it should not be made difficult for them..supports should be provided.

Yes, I live in the real world thank you. I'm just trying to make it a better one for all women.

Discussion is crucial to improving the social world. thank you
Posted by Debbie Garratt, Thursday, 27 March 2014 1:26:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not much point arguing with someone who cannot even comprehend there might be a rational case for the negative. Clearly religious indoctrination has done its job thoroughly here.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 27 March 2014 1:29:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Debbie Garrett, you keep making these assertions without evidence. What is the evidence that: “we have moved to a situation where it is standard practise for every pregnancy to be considered a potential problem”?

I dispute such a situation exists.

If you cannot support this assertion with proper factual evidence, rather than anecdote, I am not going to believe anything else you write.
Posted by Agronomist, Thursday, 27 March 2014 1:54:31 PM
"Not much point arguing with someone who cannot even comprehend there might be a rational case for the negative. Clearly religious indoctrination has done its job thoroughly here."

That's funny. I have only read rational, respectful comments from the author and not a religious reference. It is interesting and predictable that when the radicals fail to bring forth anything rational, they fall back on marginalising on the basis of anything but the facts.

The author has acknowledged and been respectful about the range of women's experiences, unlike many self proclaimed 'pro-choicers' I've heard. I've seen women devastated by abortion be publicly bullied, ridiculed and shamed by prochoicers.. so much for caring for women.
Posted by Jo59, Thursday, 27 March 2014 2:33:21 PM
@Jo59: If you can find more 'pro-choice' advocates who are not actively engaged in religious activities than you can count on the fingers of one hand, I will be very surprised. The overlap is virtually complete, and exactly the same tactics -- anecdote and innuendo -- used here to attack legal abortion are also used to attack the other great bugbears of the church, euthanasia and gay marriage.

By no coincidence at all, all of these depend on giving people the freedom to do what they want with their bodies; but this of course is anathema to the church, which considers itself to be the rightful owner of everyone's body and the only proper arbiter of what they should be allowed to do with it. Scratch a 'pro-lifer' and you will find a zealot.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 27 March 2014 2:49:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy