The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Wolf and the Slave > Comments

The Wolf and the Slave : Comments

By Justine Toh, published 12/3/2014

Without minimising the differences between The Wolf of Wall St or 12 Years a Slave, or the wildly divergent eras they depict, both share a hellish vision of the market society where everything attracts a price.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Slavery is not over and done with. The stage is set for a major comeback.
Killarney,
Too right, it's already happening, blue collar workers supporting the bureaucrats & academics.
You know the ones that the unions stand up for not !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 March 2014 6:54:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<If humans are nothing more than the sum total of unguided evolutionary forces>>

Humans, like any other animal, ARE nothing more than the sum total of unguided evolutionary forces.

We, however, You and I, are not humans. We only temporarily, for perhaps some 100 years or so, associate ourselves with a human body - what a pity to waste this rare opportunity on slavery!

Without taking into account a spiritual perspective, there indeed is nothing wrong about slavery.

<<And yet we do hold to such a belief in the inherent dignity of people. Perhaps it's a cultural hangover from a time when the biblical claim that every human is made in the 'image of God' was better known>>

What a poor example: the bible is full of stories about tyrants, genocide, rape, murder, slavery and in general, people who couldn't care less about God or His image.

People and other animals deserve no dignity, but WE do, because we (rather than our human bodies) are not only made in the 'image of God' - We ARE God and should be revered as such!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 13 March 2014 10:59:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,
You're just lucky that in all probability there is no God. At least not the kind of God the religious are trying to talk themselves into. If there is a God then I'd imagine the church-goers will be the first to cop his wrath. Why, because even in your own words God is just. So how do you think a just God would deal with the hyprocrites ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 March 2014 3:35:30 PM
Dear Individual,

<<You're just lucky that in all probability there is no God>>

Ha Ha - and who is saying that? Great are thy plays, O Lord!

<<At least not the kind of God the religious are trying to talk themselves into.>>

I am religious, mind you!

<<If there is a God then I'd imagine the church-goers will be the first to cop his wrath.>>

Yes, I'd better cop His purifying wrath than His indifference.

<<because even in your own words God is just>>

My own words?? If God were just, then it would mean that He is limited, that He cannot be unjust - is that the kind of crippled god you think I'm trying to talk myself into?

<<So how do you think a just God would deal with the hyprocrites?>>

Hypocrites, having distanced themselves from God, will eventually feel so empty that they will repent on their own.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 16 March 2014 4:59:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy