The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Audit commissions - a review > Comments

Audit commissions - a review : Comments

By Scott Prasser and Kate Jones, published 24/1/2014

Audit commissions are a relatively new and very Australian phenomenon with the first one appointed by the incoming Greiner Coalition Government in 1988. Since then some 14 audit commissions have been appointed.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
One would hope that the National Commission of Audit would include the following programs in its review, given the major government expenditures involved and the potential substantial waste that could result, as they were not subject to cost-benefit analysis:

. Re-nationalisation of telecommunications by way of the NBN project
. Government subsidisation of environmental NGOs and renewable energy schemes
. Labor's parental leave scheme and justification, if any, for implementing the Abbott parental leave scheme
. subsidisation of daycare facilities
. implementation of the NDIS
. implementation of the Gonski scheme
and (although too late for taking any correctional action)
. Julia Gillard memorial school halls.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 24 January 2014 3:47:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The government being audited and reviewed? What an excellent idea. After all, these people in control of the economy, allocating huge sums of money as they see fit, implementing policies most beneficial to the constituents, are essentially human.
An independent body, totally unbiased sent in to ensure those in control are carrying out their entrusted obligations and duties, honestly and correctly and to the letter of the law. Righting wrongs and ensuring complete honesty. Revealing and dealing with, lawful, unjust behaviors or actions. Including abuse of power, unlawful acts for personal gain, and any other behavior considered to breach their entrusted position
Posted by jodelie, Friday, 24 January 2014 10:46:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And how much - dare one ask since this would appear to be a deeply hidden secret - is this entire dog and pony show going to cost?

How much remuneration for their gifted opinions are these unelected swill going to receive, and how much will their deliberations cost overall?

How many pensions could that feed for a year or how many unemployed?

One thing I can guarantee you - they won;t do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
Posted by The Grappler, Saturday, 25 January 2014 3:56:50 PM
The Government is using the same trick as many corporations from my experience in the corporate world. The executive knews that their course of action will be painful for the staff, so they call in a management consultant who tells them what they knew they should do anyway. The executive circulates the report to staff, then carries out the plan, using the management consultant as a sort of straw man for staff anger.
The Government already has a fair idea of what it wants to cut. It will adopt them when they turn up in the Commission of Audit report, talking about how this independent body has given impartial advice which any sensible government must heed, even though it is painful. We must respect their opinions, etc, etc. (Naturally some recommendations, too hard politically or idealogically unpalatable, will be quietly forgotten.)
Posted by Outrider, Saturday, 25 January 2014 10:33:51 PM
Alot to learn, still.
I thought when someone was being audited, everyone panicked and got themselves prepared for a mild interrogation. Jobs on the line, bla bla. So I was quite pleased with my last post.

Much to my dismay it seems that it is a bit of a farce and an expensive one at that, damn.
I wondered why the article attracted no attention, at least my blurb went pretty much unnoticed.
Posted by jodelie, Friday, 31 January 2014 5:01:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy