The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's tsunami of the aged > Comments

Australia's tsunami of the aged : Comments

By Murray Hunter, published 17/1/2014

With 14.7% of Australia's population over the age of 65, which is expected to be 24% by 2056, a crisis in aged care is occurring.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Rhian,

The actual percentages that will be realised depend on a series of factors, one of which is the future level and age composition of immigration. The current projections presume a continuing high level of immigration, which would most likely be cut back if unemployment is a problem.

Whatever the actual figures is is fair to say that the proportion of petty bourgeois in the electorate will be substantially larger, resulting in profound political changes.
Posted by plerdsus, Saturday, 18 January 2014 10:47:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes that's right OTB.
When I am in charge, ALL male patients are potential euthanasia victims : )

As it happens, it IS male patients who are the strongest voices for euthanasia, so I don't get the feminist connection really'...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 18 January 2014 4:40:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline,

That is the sort of frivolous post to be expected of someone who proposes euthanasia to solve the alleged 'problem' of too many dementia patients living too long:

<Suseonline, "Dementia clients live for years these days, due to ever more effective medical care for the elderly. And still no one has the guts to even have a referendum on euthanasia...">

You did say you worked in aged care? Maybe you need different work so you are not constantly affronted by elderly patients.
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 18 January 2014 7:03:20 PM
No, I'm not working in aged care anymore OTB.
You should work for awhile with dementia patients before you utter ignorant comments.

You have no idea what they and their families go through.
The absolute heartbreak of it all is why I left that job 5 years ago...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 18 January 2014 10:19:51 PM
Suseonline,

Perhaps you would be so kind as to outline how your proposed euthanasia of dementia patients would work? How do you expect to get their informed consent for example, even if other ethical and policy problems did not exist?

However you are not talking about voluntary euthanasia and terminal patients are you? You (as in bureaucrats) and relatives would decide.

Nothing like free speech to 'out' the 'Progressive' fascists. How dare you presume to decide who should live and who should die. Your convenience, their death.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 19 January 2014 1:42:47 PM
Not at all Onthebeach.
This is one subject I know very well.

The currently available "Advanced Health Directive" documentation will be able to direct health professionals and relatives into exactly what people want for themselves in the future, should a nasty medical situation arise.
This will eventually also include voluntary euthanasia once it becomes legal.

My mother has filled hers out and states that if she has a serious stroke, or similar, and is basically not able to move or speak, with no possibility of a future happy life, she does not want to be force-fed or artificially kept alive.

The same goes for a diagnosis of dementia.

She is able to say what she wants to happen now, while she is relatively well.
Obviously, once you have been diagnosed with dementia, and you have not already made one of these "Advanced Health Directives" legally for yourself, then it is too late, and you will have to dement mentally and physically until the time of your natural death.

Unless, of course, you have understanding relatives who become your legal guardian and refuse life-prolonging measures when you are unconscious and incontinent...

Mum doesn't agree with voluntary euthanasia like I do, but she doesn't want to be forced to stay alive either.

How do you feel about that Onthebeach?
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 19 January 2014 2:26:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy