The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is meditation the best medicine? > Comments

Is meditation the best medicine? : Comments

By Murray Hunter, published 3/1/2014

One major question that should be asked is whether the enormous growth in psychology-based therapies is just a case of supply to meet a demand?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A timely and relevant article, Murray, at this time of the year when a great amount of personal stress and dissatisfaction arises.
Drugs and medicines are no substitute for the awareness and understanding of the power of the mind to trigger what we term 'good' and 'bad' outcomes.
But one of the problems with this article and that of many other writers, is that would-be newcomers to Buddhism can be slightly awed by the nomenclature contained in it.
My recommendation to readers who may be looking at this kind of lifestyle for the first time is to ignore the Pali terms used as references, and just think about the broad concepts. Try not to be distracted by esoteric terms and definitions, just try to understand that every outcome has a cause; the aim is to see that cause, honestly, then do something about changing or removing it.
That way, you have the ability to control your feelings and heighten your awareness of the origins of many problems which you encounter.
Buddhism is very alive and very widespread in Australia, and its followers tend to be positive and helpful in explaining it to newcomers, but only if asked - there is no proselytising.
Posted by Ponder, Friday, 3 January 2014 10:17:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Murray,

Buddhism is a great religion and it also has the healing effects that you mentioned as side-benefits.

My only complaint is, why shy away from calling a spade a spade?
Why not declare the truth proudly and openly that Buddhism IS a religion, that it DOES lead people closer to God?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 3 January 2014 11:49:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Buddha would've been very disappointed in you, Yuyutsu! He made it very clear that Buddhism was not a religion and that all Gods were a human construct as was life after death!

Buddhists do cope better with the limitations of our earthly existence better than most. They are more tranquil, more accepting of what life throws at them, less demanding, less ego-centric.

Thanks to the author of this article. It is more sensible and useful than some articles on OLO!
Posted by David G, Friday, 3 January 2014 12:04:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David,

It is said that one morning a theist asked Buddha: "Is there a God?"
Buddha replied: "No, never been, never will, get rid of this nonsense".

On that afternoon, an atheist came and asked Buddha: "Is there a God?"
Buddha replied: "Yes of course, seek and ye shall find".

Ananda, his disciple who was with him all day, was very puzzled, so in the evening he asked Buddha: "how come you gave them such conflicting answers - Is there a God?"

Buddha replied: "In the morning it was the question of a theist, in the afternoon it was the question of an atheist, now that YOU ask, it's again a different question", so he sat in silence and closed his eyes - Ananda followed and soon got his answer within.

<<Buddhists do cope better with the limitations of our earthly existence better than most. They are more tranquil, more accepting of what life throws at them, less demanding, less ego-centric.>>

In other words, the main obstacles on their path to God have been lessened, so they are closer to God than most.

Religion is not about ideas - it's about practice:
If indeed it was Buddhism that brought them to this superior state, then by definition that makes Buddhism a religion!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 3 January 2014 12:43:49 PM
An interesting article Murray, there is certainly a place for meditation practices in modern life.
I have attended a secular mindfulness group for some time now and have mastered basic meditation techniques.
I fail to see the necessity of coupling meditation with Buddhism, Christianity or any other belief system.
Meditation, properly practiced has all the touted benefits, needs only hard work and dedication. The priests and monks are superfluous as far as I am concerned.
Posted by Imperial, Friday, 3 January 2014 1:02:10 PM
I am not so sure about what is or what isn't the best medicine, I only know that authority/bureaucracy induced stress is the #1 killer of people in modern western societies.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 4 January 2014 6:36:37 AM
Buddhism and Meditation...why the link?
Mechanics know engines...doctors know bodies...do you know your mind?...all observations, reactions, acts in your life till now...begin and end in your mind...
So wouldn't a reasonable person beginning their quest to know what makes them tick start here? before the next step of improving their lives by engaging the minds effectively in their lives...which fundamental of Buddhist life path...
So first step...just plain observation...ya? of what you do, when you do, and results off...or called "Awareness"...
That is 'meditation'...anything else that does not advance this Awareness is not meditation...its something else...so ignore anything and anyone or everyone who does not assist you in your quest of Awareness...then next step automatically forms...
Remember its a 'Self_quest"...and this awareness is continuing 24/7...so you are meditating right now...now its brought to conscious state...thats it...so dont even call it Buddhism...jut do and be to better...
sam
Ps~you'll quickly realize there are two components to your mind...the brain physical and effective energy that drives its actions...so your next step immediately becomes energy awareness(open third eye)...to progress further...then amaxing things and abilities happen...
Posted by Sam said, Saturday, 4 January 2014 10:57:29 AM
there are two components to your mind.
Sam said,
One side thinks the other side doesn't, at least that's what i gauge from my observations in the people around me.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 4 January 2014 6:53:26 PM
Individual wrote "One side thinks the other side doesn't"...
hahah...a good awareness, that...
I think this might explain it...just go with me...
mathematics...
please calculate 2+2dollars, multiply that by 4, divide by 8...multiply that by 100= whats the answer, while you aware of yourself generally...

Now same calculation...but imagine its your bank working out how much fees they will remove from your account...

see the difference...first is logical so left side of brain...you feel cool and settled...
Next is emotional...feel unsettled and mind racing with objections...thats all right sided brain activity...which people tend to suppress a lot...but still its going on...

hope this makes sense...
sam
Posted by Sam said, Saturday, 4 January 2014 8:07:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy