The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Unsound vision > Comments

Unsound vision : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 30/12/2013

For most of us TV is about vision, but it's also about sound as well: a view of the not so visible side of TV.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Ian, your hearing is obviously acute, but are you brain dead? The content of most TV is an insult; that is, if you can understand the attractive ladies who speak through their noses, or the usual muttering. It's not a volume control, but old fashioned voice training that should be the first remedial measure.
Posted by Leslie, Monday, 30 December 2013 11:46:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
god! Three ages devoted to TV.

Most TV is about the lowest form of entertainment , un- watchable for most part and sheer "pap". Best quality of sound that is deserving of this stuff is in the 200Hz to 3.0kHz band with a max of 5% THD.
Posted by Kilmouski, Monday, 30 December 2013 11:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<These days, television is a substantial part of our lives.>>

So was booze, for centuries and unfortunately it still is.

So please speak for yourself - it's not part of my life, I don't have any.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 30 December 2013 12:19:52 PM
Interesting article Ian

Always good to know how our emotions are influenced by TV music.

Don't worry about that bloke Leslie.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 30 December 2013 1:39:52 PM
Hi Ian,

Like most of the posters before me I can’t agree with you. Our TV is used very selectively for entertainment, perhaps six shows in a week. The rest of the time it is used for movies or special interest stuff from the internet to a media server.

For news I use the internet and on-line media subscriptions, I abandoned ABC/SBS about five years ago. Free TV is great value, it costs nothing and that’s what it’s worth, nothing.

My priorities are books via Amazon, internet, movies and lastly TV.

I bought a book called Aristotle’s Rhetoric a few months back, I paid 87c for it. Don’t you find it a little curious that we fought to prevent such books being burnt a few hundred years ago, now you can get them for 87c and delivered in about 15 seconds?

Things they are a changin’
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 30 December 2013 3:38:51 PM
Hi spindoc

Even more useful than Amazon for getting the best mail order book price is http://booko.com.au/ . Just enter the book title and Booko tells you whether Amazon, Abebooks, Book Depository etc sells the book and which offers the best price.

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 30 December 2013 6:59:13 PM
Hello Ian, a very long time since I have seen or heard you.
I also find the variable levels a nuisance, but my wife never notices.

My main complaint is not news, which is always understandable.
My main complaint is dramas and the attempt to be "realistic".
Shots with two people walking along and talking or muttering like they
do works fine with two people side by side, but not with people like
the viewer listening through a microphone, out of shot, held over their heads.
It makes it difficult to understand what is said.

Cheers & 73
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 30 December 2013 7:00:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy