The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC and the coalition > Comments

The ABC and the coalition : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 5/12/2013

There were some there who would sell it off, some who would just abolish it, some who are just angry with it but don't have a solution, and some who would sack the CEO.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
People with low intelligence like Jardine love commercial television.

The commercials ensure they don't have to concentrate for more than a minute or so and they can learn to sing the jingles and laugh each time at the same silly jokes.

Let the bulk of people enjoy their 'Free' television, I say. It ensures a mass market of zombies who buy whatever is advertised whether they need it or not.

"Oh, what a feeling!"
Posted by David G, Friday, 6 December 2013 9:17:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"""
If you think people buy papers simply for the news you are dead wrong.
Currently circulations are falling but advertising revenues are increasing.
"""

@ imajulianutter

I never mentioned newspapers but whatever. I also find your statement a bit hard to believe. In any case, people are funding their desires with their own money, unlike being violently forced to pay for something they have no desire to watch or listen to. It's a known fact that the net is reducing these big outlets influences all over the world, just look at the latest report on American big players, they're down some 40%. It's not just the ALPBC that are despised for talking crap and they do plenty of it!
Posted by RawMustard, Friday, 6 December 2013 9:53:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact that the government channels are still alive and prospering after a collective 80 years is certainly a negative reflection on the Coalition government. They regularly speak of their bias, occasionally refuse to be interviewed, and yet allow them to continue being financed by the taxpayer year after year.

That conservative attribute of those politicians who are afraid of serious change and would rather put up with thorns in their feet mile after mile rather than actually displaying the courage to do something about it.

In a hypothetical situation where the ABC and SBS were consistently right wing (yes, very hypothetical) could you really imagine Prime Minister Paul Keating simply tolerating it? Within months of taking office he would be abolishing it with whatever argument at hand. Eg “In times like this when people are struggling to pay …..can we really afford to maintain …”
Posted by Edward Carson, Friday, 6 December 2013 1:45:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does the ABC have a purpose? Promoting good journalism, and Australia are certainly not included.

No one is asking the ABC to be a government mouthpiece, but a simply a responsible organisation with a non political agenda, like other public servants.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 6 December 2013 1:56:42 PM
Bit of a problem, am looking for a wedge to hold up my right leaning monitor around here. Lot of libs here showing why they always think they should be in Government and everyone else, well they are everyone else and to quote Maj Frank Burns 4077 MASH "Its everyman's inalienable right to be poor."
Nothing new here just the same hacks pushing like mad to make you believe if you repeat it often enough it must be right.
Wonder how Ms Credlin and her media types are trying to script next week for us.
Posted by very curious, Friday, 6 December 2013 4:12:16 PM
Jardine K. Jardine to call David G a fool is offensive, we must have the truth from TV channels whether they are commercial or not, sadly lacking, we the public should know what is going on in Governments, after all we elect them to do just that, not to be secretive once elected, if you notice Iran seems to be no more a threat, and all is quiet, awhile back war was on the agenda, but now we are having secretive meetings with allies that China could be the next war area, if the ABC were to report on these secretive meetings I for one would applaud them, I want to know what is going on
If you are happy to prefer "Deal or no Deal" that is your perogative, Abbott and people like yourself do not want an information channel for free. I reiterate I want to know what secrets Governments are hiding, remember it will not be he politicians in the front line of war, but the ordinary people, they only lay the wreaths after. ABC keep up letting us know.
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 6 December 2013 6:34:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy