The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How we are remembered > Comments

How we are remembered : Comments

By Tania Cleary, published 18/11/2013

What memorials will there be for Australia's more humble politicians who have little opportunity to change the course of history by territorial and cultural conquest?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thank-you Tania
A nice piece of work defending the political cartoon and arguing for its power in creating enduring, iconic images to sometimes immortalise and at other times demolish public figures. I saw the cartoon exhibition at the Old Parliament House last year and attended the discussion with cartoonists that followed that evening. Very enjoyable and illuminating. The cartoonists had a bumper crop last year. This 2013 exhibition will no doubt yield another: all the rancour, rancid private behaviour by some pollies and deracination within Labor cannot surely be resisted. I look forward to this show again. i believe that thousands attended last year. My other test is my own memory: Menzies for me is Will Rushton's and Bruce Petty's cartoons from the 60's, Holt is Molnar, Whitlam too. The whole feel of the 60's tumbles out of the Cartoon Annual for 1966 "No Holts Barred". Bruce Petty, Molnar, tanner, Martin Sharp, Rigby,
old Benier, Mercier. Political history regains its smell through cartooning! If only i could draw!
Posted by readr, Wednesday, 20 November 2013 10:42:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy