The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our ABC myth makers > Comments

Our ABC myth makers : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 4/11/2013

All that it does here is push the homosexual agenda and pretend it has offered us some scholarly fact checking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Scary statistic, Dan S de Merengue.

>>Polls in the US show that creation is a popular, probably majority view<<

But I'm pretty sure that the figure would have been closer to 100% when the US came into being.

So it would be far more accurate to say that belief in creationism is slowly dissipating, as we learn more and more about our environment, and are able to explore more of the universe around us.

I expect you could track this decline on a graph, if you wanted to, and align its gradient with the greater level of education in our society.

Knowledge is a powerful weapon against a belief in magic.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 12 November 2013 10:11:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dan S,

Your reference to the February 18th program is a furphy.

The discussion was not about "creationism" but whether religion should be taught in science classes.
"So I want to know from the panel what your attitude is towards the teaching of religion in science classes and to Tanya and Greg in particular, what you and your parties will do to stop religion being taught in our science classes? "...Question by Kary harrison at 10:52 into program

"My research has shown some of these organisations teach that men and dinosaurs once lived together, that the earth is only 6,000 years old and that children will burn in hell if they don't read the Bible every day. How might teaching such things to children in state education affect Australia's future? "...Question by Cathy Byrne 12:50 into program.

Neither of these questions needed response by a "creationist" to be unbiased.

Having watched the original program and reread the Transcript it is clear that the panel including Greg Hunt, Tanya Plibersek etc were debating the merit of religion being taught in science. They might just as easily have referred to Judaism for all it was worth.
Posted by Peter King, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 4:28:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,
The debate was never about numbers; it’s about taking sides. (Our tax payer funded national broadcaster is not supposed to take sides.)
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Friday, 15 November 2013 8:27:43 AM
Peter K,
Thanks for taking the trouble to look into the transcript of this episode of Q&A. I’ve also seen the transcript. And it’s pretty clear that one of the main issues discussed that night related to the ideas of ‘creation’ as opposed to ‘evolution’ with regards to the origin of life, their value, and place in society.

-Question by KARY HARRISON: I was a bit angry when my son was taught a CREATION ‘story’ about the origin of the universe in his Year 11 physics class at a local high school. … So I want to know from the panel what your attitude is towards the teaching of religion in science classes …?

Answered by TANYA PLIBERSEK: … I don't think there are many scientists who would accept the literal interpretation of the Bible CREATION of the earth.

Answered by (atheist) LAWRENCE KRAUSS: People ring me and say to me: "come to Australia" and giving me a lot of examples in Queensland of the fact of CREATIONISM being used in science class.

-Question by CATHY BYRNE: How might teaching such things [dinosaurs once lived together, that the earth is only 6,000 years old] to children in state education affect Australia's future?

Answered by (atheist) LAWRENCE KRAUSS: I’ve recently, in the United States, just stated that teaching CREATIONISM is child abuse and I think it is. … EVOLUTION is the basis of modern biology and teaching things that are basically lies, even if they are well intentioned, is child abuse. …

Answered by (evolutionist) JOHN DICKSON: … most mainstream Christians are very comfortable with science and with all of the discoveries of science, including the 13.72 billion years ago there was a bang and EVOLUTION by natural selection. … I’ve got plenty of friends who are SIX DAY CREATIONISTS.… I just think they are wrong. Wrong on the science. Wrong on the Bible.

KRAUSS (in response to Dickson’s comment on creationists): There are a lot of people who think that science will remove their faith …that's the same thing that drives the Taliban …
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Friday, 15 November 2013 8:32:55 AM
-Question by TIM HUBBELL: Isn't it bad parenting to force your children to learn that people EVOLVED from the ancestors of monkeys without letting them have the opportunity to think about it logically and come to their own conclusion?

Answered by (atheist) KRAUSS: The evidence tells us that evolution happened.

In summary: according to ABC’s carefully selected panel of ‘experts’:

CREATIONISTS are: liars, child abusers, wrong on science, and wrong on the Bible, motivated by fear like the Taliban, and are holding a minority position amongst scientists (this last one is true, but science is judged by evidence, not democratic vote),

While on the other side:

EVOLUTION happened, 13.72 billion years ago, and is ‘the basis of modern biology’,

This evening was seemingly another vicious beat up on creationists by the ABC. Lots of evolutionists on the panel; not one creationist. Not surprising that the creationists got shafted. Who is giving the balance? Who is putting the other side?

I hope the point is clear. The ABC is duty bound to put both sides of an issue. On this occasion the counter argument was not given; those of the differing view were not even invited to give their side. What disappoints me most is the impression gained when trying to point out this type of imbalance to the ABC, is that they don’t really care. They know who is in charge of this corner of government funding. It’s them. And they’re answerable to no one.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Friday, 15 November 2013 8:41:58 AM
Dan,

Debating with you "creationism" is likely to as rewarding as climate change denier debates. No amount of logic or science can change your mind; this is how beliefs can overpower or suppress reality.

I suggest your beliefs represent less than 1% of the population and so I see no requirement for the ABC to give you and supporters equal time.

Notwithstanding that, what would you have done with the ABC? Would you like it privatised, disbanded or what?

If so do you want to allow this, the "worst government" in Australian history, to go totally unchallenged for the next 3 years? Because there is no commentary on their performance from any of the Murderocracy media.
Posted by Peter King, Friday, 15 November 2013 11:35:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy