The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A fair go > Comments

A fair go : Comments

By Mishka Góra, published 24/10/2013

And that's what makes volunteer fire fighters like Tony Abbott heroes. They risk their lives in the worst of conditions to protect us.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I agree, Tony the Polly I don't like much...but Tony the Fire Fighter I have great respect for.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 24 October 2013 10:27:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony Abbott is a great guy; he makes the blots, idiots, perambulating egos and other wastes of space from the left and the Greens look like blots, idiots, perambulating egos and wastes of space.
Posted by cohenite, Thursday, 24 October 2013 11:36:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The signs are that, unlike his immediate predecessors, Abbott doesn't have a neurotic fixation on what people think of him personally or professionally, just a keen determination to get on with the job by the best and most effective means. If I'm right, and if he can keep it up, then he has the potential to be one of the great Prime Ministers.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 24 October 2013 12:52:40 PM
I find it hard to believe that any rational sane person could write and believe this rubbishy article. Tony Abbott has no idea as to the depth of his responsibilities as prime minister - indeed has never seen past winning the election, and having won has little idea as to what to do next. The position of prime minister is not constitutionally defined but even so carries awesome responsibilities. To deliberately endanger himself, his minders, and at the same time increase the already onerous responsibilities of the fire fighters simply by being there - all in the name of being a 'good bloke'- is irresponsible in the extreme. Tony Abbott is a populist of the worst order, and heads a government already shaping up to be a disaster. He should concentrate on his prime ministerial responsibilities and leave 'game playing to the galleries' to someone else.
Posted by GYM-FISH, Thursday, 24 October 2013 12:55:22 PM
Well written. Who cares if it was a photo opportunity? (Although I believe he is just another volunteer in this case). I would prefer a PM that would at least be doing something while he raises some publicity then one that totters around in fire and flood zones side stepping anything that might be a bit too icky to step in with their expensive leather shoes. Posing shaking hands with the fireys with that "Cant wait to wash my hand" expression on their face. And a constipation smile on their face while they talk with locals. Every time I see pollys like that I think, bloody help or get outta the bloody way! That might be the country coming out a bit.
Posted by Bec_young mum of 2, Thursday, 24 October 2013 1:10:53 PM
You know what would really impress me about Tony Abbott the volunteer firefighter? It would be a story about him parachuting into the inferno [currently engulfing NSW] and him fighting the fires single handed from the other side. But of course that would be a work of fiction now wouldn't it? Sadly, the true heroes, the women and men on the frontline risking their lives daily to fight this inferno are muted in the narratives accompanying Tony Abbott's pressers and photo ops.
Posted by Numbul Davis, Thursday, 24 October 2013 1:28:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy