The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Deficit deeper than economy > Comments

Deficit deeper than economy : Comments

By Richard Eckersley, published 4/10/2013

The relationship between the moral and economic deficit in Australia reflects the public's disquiet.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
< …a narrow focus on economic growth was detrimental to our quality of life and wellbeing. To eliminate the 'moral deficit', I concluded, we needed to focus less on the rate of growth and more on its quality. >

Absolutely Peter. This has been at the heart of my despair for many years now.

< The truth is that our standard of living is unsustainable and our quality of life is declining, not because of the failure of government policies, but because of the failure of the paradigm of material progress on which they are based. >

Yes indeed… except that government policies are integral to this paradigm. They promulgate it, and therefore there certainly is a fundamental failing inherent in government policy.

I don’t think we can expect Abbott and his mob to see this or do anything meaningful about it, but I would have hoped that Labor would realise the great imperative to change focus and concentrate on the quality of growth, achieving the right sorts of growth while curtailing the wrong sorts, and moving strongly towards a sustainable future.

But alas, there is no hint of this from Shorten, and I presume likewise from Albanese.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 4 October 2013 8:24:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the author's analysis, with one important exception.

"Let's not delude ourselves, as our political leaders delude themselves, about what a positive people we are, and how wonderful our future is." ---No, it's not a delusion it's essentially an expression of contempt for the mass of voters.

Many of our politicians, particularly on the conservative side are not deluded, budget deficits and surpluses are easily understood by the public, the "obsession" is a cynical diversion from the underlying economic and social problems. The fixation on the budget by the Coalition and their propagandists in the media is a cynical manipulation of voter ignorance and anxiety, as is the hysteria over a relatively minor issue such as the "boat people".

What the country needs now is a genuine social democratic party, we used to have one, however it appears to have disappeared.
Posted by mac, Friday, 4 October 2013 9:39:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quality of life declining? Richard, do you have any proof of this? You cite a survey of young people but its just one data point. Where's the rest of the data? If you don't want to base this assessment on incomes, which have been going up, then what else specifically? Environment? If so, are you talking about urban environment where everyone lives (all indicators have been improving)as opposed to the general environment which is alleged to be growing warmer. Are the young people complaining about the warmer temperatures?

Crime rates (going down, mostly)? Health outcomes? Generally improving and if you don't believe me go and look at the ABS stats for yourself, or the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare statistics.. The article is just politically correct musings..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Friday, 4 October 2013 10:53:02 AM
Interesting article. However, government is not equipped to address the moral deficit. They are equipped to run the country. Any attempt at addressing the moral deficit will inevitably become some kind of shallow propaganda. There has been much talk about the separation of church and state. What now that we have achieved this separation? The state finds itself unmoored from the insights that the church could bring to the meaning of human life.
Peter Sellick
Posted by Sells, Friday, 4 October 2013 10:55:54 AM
A moral code is something that is lived, not lectured!
The Christian master said, in so much as you do to the least amongst you, you also do unto me.
I wonder what he would have said about the ever widening gap between the haves and the have nots; and the homeless, understandable, if we were an impoverished country, where the minimum pay was a $1.20 a day.
But here of all places, were we are almost better off than any other nation on earth!
Just look at the mess the religious right/tea party are making, while they hold the mightiest economy to ransom, just so they, as the better off, can deprive the poor of minimum health care.
There no doubt these same people will regularly frequent the local church, stand up front and with much ceremony, put a very large note on the plate; and possibly even as lay preachers, pontificate on the evils of unfaithful husbands and wives etc/etc ad infiniitum, ad nauseum!
Morals? What morals?
The best leaders are those who lead by example, rather than a plethora of pious paradigms!
Only to return to work and pound out pernicious policies that deal parsimony/penury to our least well off!
And all so unnecessary, when better more generous policies are very affordable, add to the economy by boosting discretionary spending, by shutting down tax avoidance, via a stand alone, unavoidable, expenditure tax system.
The very broadness of a broad based system, spreads the load onto those who formerly avoided a fair share.
And the so called followers' of Christ, front and centre, in this avoidance!
The very unavoidability of an expenditure tax, allows various entities to pocket former compliance outlays, which would no longer serve any functional purpose, in a win/win outcome for long suffering tax payers, the overall economy, which finally starts to work for us; and the least amongst us, who through their increased new means/improved discretionary spend, also serve to improve everyone Else's lot!
It's too easy!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 4 October 2013 10:59:34 AM
I am surprised that people think that our political parties do not operate by a clear moral code.

The good news is that the code has been followed by all parties since 1808.

The bad news is that the code is the one followed by the Rum Corps.

It can be paraphrased as "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but do it first."
Posted by plerdsus, Friday, 4 October 2013 12:07:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy