The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In defence of state and territory same-sex marriage laws > Comments

In defence of state and territory same-sex marriage laws : Comments

By Rodney Croome, published 19/9/2013

By the end of the year, somewhere in Australia, same-sex couples will begin to marry and the debate will have changed forever.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Tony Lavis,

You took one word out of context to play a silly little game.

What I said was, "Nonsense. If homosexuals were being denied any rights or 'equality' as you put it the Human Rights Commission would have been onto it like a fat kid onto a packet of Smarties".

What I said is correct.

It is also correct to say that this subject has been done to death in the federal Parliament and the present Marriage Act has been confirmed. Both the Greens and Labor got scorched for their stand on gay marriage.

It is also abundantly clear from the gay activists' objection to a referendum on the subject that the vast majority of Australians do not want the Marriage Act trashed.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 29 September 2013 10:55:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by Tony Lavis, Sunday, 29 September 2013 11:58:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Zoe,

I wish you both and your son the best in your marriage, please do not consider that 'D'-word.

I respect and support your marriage, so must your family and friends and so must all other members of this forum, religious or otherwise (PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR SUPPORT, EVERYONE!).

If someone that I love and respect disapproved of my marriage, then I MIGHT be concerned (better still, I could simply take it to be THEIR problem, not mine), but that this bunch of evil tyrants didn't recognise my marriage, I could only wear as a badge of honour, a source of pride, not shame - and so should your son if you explain it to him. I believe that he should be proud of you both!

The reason I oppose government recognition of gay marriage is exactly the same for opposing their recognition of ANY marriage. Suppose you received a lavish wedding-gift from the Mafia or a similar criminal gang, wouldn't you be more worried about it than happy? Wouldn't it come with strings-attached, as a form of bribery calling for your allegiance to that gang who then expect you to return the favour one day? Why then ask for favours from the government, because that's exactly what they are!

I plan to marry, which is why I asked for that legal advice. When I do, then despite being heterosexual, we will not sign any papers to let the government hear about it. We intend to have a religious wedding and never invite those evil ones.

As for the list of practical matters that you mentioned, fortunately you have been together for some years already, so you must be recognised as a 'de-facto' couple, which supposedly gives you the same legal-status as legally-married couples. If you like, for your peace-of-mind you can also sign an explicit will and power-of-attorney forms that give your partner all powers as per government-recognised marriages.

<<those of religious belief can have no earthly reason to object...>>

Excellent question. The sole reason is that it would increase government's powers, in turn allowing them to oppress religion.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 30 September 2013 12:05:19 AM
Less than fourty percent of the Australian public is
against same-sex marriage and more than 60 percent are
in favour of it. 40 percent does not a majority make.
As for the Marriage Act being "confirmed." No, it was
not. It was forced onto the Australian public by a
conservative Prime Minister - and as with other outdated
legislation, it now needs to be amended to keep up with
current changes and circumstances that would better
represent the community's wishes.

This is an emotive issue for some, however, what would be
fair would be to have a Referendum on the subject - and let
the people decide what they want.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 30 September 2013 10:17:12 AM
Very Foxy not to mention who sponsored that survey and any limitations in the interpretation of the results. Limitations that have been outlined to you innumerable times on OLO.

The only poll that matters took place very recently. The Greens and Labor copped a drubbing. 'Gay' marriage was supported by both. Both parties were shown the door by voters.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 30 September 2013 9:04:39 PM
Dear OTB,

The stats are easily available on the web.
All one has to do is Google them. Of course
if you have a problem doing that - just go
into your regional library and the librarians
there will help you. But then if you prefer
to only glean your information from News Ltd - that's
understandable. Everything else prejudices one so. ;-)
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 6:24:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy