The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time for the major parties to acknowledge their significant others > Comments

Time for the major parties to acknowledge their significant others : Comments

By Richard Denniss and Brenton Prosser, published 12/9/2013

Australia wants political arrangements 'other' than what the major parties intended.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Yes good questions indeed:
'Will the carbon price be abolished?' Abbott has no more 'lies' to attack, only his own to consider. The lies that most of the carbon can be abated for $10 per tonne in soil http://www.businessspectator.com.au/contributor/ben-rose
and the rest 'bought' from generous abaters at a similar cost.

'
Will the senate voting rules be changed?' I think they should be; it wont require rocket science to do so. Six or more candidates to be numbered on a circular ballot paper with no 'above the line' voting. Fee required to stand to be increased to say $10,000 (should be easily raised from the minimum 500 party members at $20 apiece). It would allow independent voters to vote all independent candidates and completely exclude the majors if they want.

'And, if major parties refuse to listen to the will of Australian people, will there be another election in the not too distant future?'
My bet is yes, knowing Abbott's form. But maybe his big corporate energy user backers have another watered down carbon price with another name that they will push. Actually I think they are crazy - the current Europe-linked carbon price is so weak it's a 'free kick' to them for several years at least - a dirt cheap way of 'abating' carbon at virtually no cost to them.
Posted by Roses1, Thursday, 12 September 2013 10:23:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
These blokes missed their calling. They should be teaching creative writing.

You certainly have to give it to academics. They can take a simple situation & spin it out of this world, into what ever will advantage them in the long run. It is no accident that the Labor party has become the master of spin, & stuff all else, since they took over the "workers" party.

It really is so simple. Labor had made themselves totally unelectable with their incompetence, caused to a large extent by the takeover by academia.

Knowing this, they found a particularly sticky mud, & threw tons of it daily at Tony Abbott. Just enough stuck to cause the less thoughtful to believe it. Thus a small percentage of people went & sprayed their vote all over the place.

It did not have enough effect for the academic spin doctors to get Labor off the hook of their own making, so a landslide.

Now we have them, with this bit of fluff, trying to turn their minor interference into something of importance.

Come off it fellers. You fooled some of the people, for a little of the time, but you actually failed. I suggest you go back to conning undergrads. They are easier to fool.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 12 September 2013 12:08:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is an essay featured on Truthout by Henry Giroux titled Intellectuals As Subjects and Objects of Violence.

It seems to me that the profile thus described fits Hasbeen perfectly.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Thursday, 12 September 2013 3:35:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

I am not too sure it could be called fluff.
There are some valid points there worth considering.
Can our new Prime Minister carry the other half or a good percentage of the other half of the electorate along with him as he makes his changes or will our country descend into a state of protest with a them and us mentality across the board.
The nearly half that did not vote for him are citizens too and this must be considered in any proposed change.
The signs of a true leader in a democracy is one who can take the greater majority along with him/her.
One can only hope he is up to the task in front of him.
He has not displayed the wisdom and leadership required as yet, that of course does not mean it is not there.
The next few months will be of interest as the true character of our Prime Minister is revealed.
SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Thursday, 12 September 2013 4:59:49 PM
Shaggy, the country did not descend into a state of protest when the more than 50% which did not vote for Julia & the shambolic form of government she brought us. She was building on the shamble we had previously had from Rudd. If we descend into a state of protest with a government the majority did vote for, it will say more about our lefty friends than the government.

Judging by the garbage already being spun out by the academic left, I see little chance of a fair minded assessment of the new government's policies by them.

I expect most of Tony's policies to be quite gentle, suiting the middle of the road, just a lot more practical & better aimed than what we have seen these last 6 years
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 12 September 2013 5:25:10 PM
Hasbeen,

I look forward to seeing how our new Prime Minister turns out.
I have read a fair bit about him and he does appear to have the characteristics of a chameleon, adapting himself to his environment.
Hopefully he will find the right colour for his tenure as Prime Minister, however long that may be.
If he does not I think it will be his own kind who will destroy him rather than the opposition. There is a lot of naked ambition lurking in the wings of the coalition. More so than the opposition where there was only two real contenders.
SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Thursday, 12 September 2013 5:50:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy