The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Prime Ministerial self-indulgence > Comments

Prime Ministerial self-indulgence : Comments

By Reg Little, published 29/8/2013

Simply put, many of Australia's assumed and comfortable certainties are already anachronisms which may have allowed the Australian Government to treat the St Petersburg G 20 Summit as an irrelevance in the context of domestic politics.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Reg, it is not just Ruddian self-indulgence. There is a fundamental flaw in the Australian world view, which regards (at the official level) world events through an Anglo-american prism. The mass of the people are largely ignorant of the developments you refer to, not, I hasten to add, necessarily through any fault of their own, but from the fact that the mainstream media in all its forms shares the blinkered ignorance of the government and fails to properly inform its readership/listenership of what is happening in our region and elsewhere.

Because of this fundamental flaw I fear that the likely new Foreign Minister (Bishop) will not represent an improvement, and indeed in several important respects may be even worse (hard as that is to imagine) than the present government. One has only to look at the crisis currently being played out in Syria to appreciate how appalling our foreign policy stances are.
Posted by James O'Neill, Thursday, 29 August 2013 4:27:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I fear that the likely new Foreign Minister (Bishop) will not represent an improvement,
James O'Neill,
Well, then why fear at all, when it will not be any different to what the situation is now. The only consolation is that there is scope for improvement whereas the ALP Government has obviously no more scope for improvement even with another term. Why else haven't they reacted & improved long before this election ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 1 September 2013 7:50:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Individual. Typically, you take half of a quote out of context and then distort it for your own argument. My concern was that Bishop would be even worse. There is a more important point that Mr Little was making and that is the point that need to be addressed. You might like to read his article again before foisting your ignorance on the rest of us.
Posted by James O'Neill, Sunday, 1 September 2013 4:25:49 PM
My concern was that Bishop would be even worse.
James O'Neill,
My point was that this is extremely unlikely if not impossible. Julie Bishop is not ALP in case you haven't noticed.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 1 September 2013 5:25:48 PM
Oh dear, here we have yet another trained interpreter, come academic, who thinks how many languages you speak is important. Typical arrogance of the academic. Smart people hire academics & interpreters when needed, & they certainly don't believe their opinions.

We currently have another interpreter losing his cool as Oz prepares to show him the door.

Please James O'Neill, after Rudd & Carr, the drovers dog has got to be an improvement as foreign affairs minister.

I sometimes wonder why our stuffed shirts can't take a step back & see themselves as everyone else sees them. Nah, not a good idea, their egos would not survive.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 1 September 2013 6:07:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy