The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The struggle to help boys learn > Comments

The struggle to help boys learn : Comments

By Peter West, published 14/8/2013

Parents of boys must demand that schools do more for their boys. Ask more insistently: what does this school offer my son?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
What was really interesting was the denialism from the (feminist) woman who wrote the article in the SMH. It's just the same thing as we see here from people like Suse and exactly the sort of dysfunctional borderline thinking that has caused my children so much trouble. In the world view of people like the author of that piece any criticism of feminism can be deconstructed and debated away, no further thought required, but she refuses to examine that the outcomes are really crap for everyone except people like her. Perhaps she's not interested in men, in which case why is she even commenting?

My ex-wife won't consider that the children aren't doing well because she fought so hard to keep me from being a positive influence. that would mean she is responsible for something bad happening to the children she quite sincerely loves because of her and that is simply intolerable.

It's a tragedy on a vast scale and it has to be stopped as quickly and as permanently as possible. Every man I know between the age of 35 and 60 has an ex-wife and most have a child-support debt and have lost most of their assets. Every single one with the exception of an Anglican Minister and a former boss who is a professional engineer and I know two other such Ministers who do. Those men include university professors, professionals of every stripe, truck drivers, labourers, technical workers, storemen and several unemployed. Every man I know under that age is either waiting for the axe to fall, or actively avoiding the possibility of children.

I susbscribed to a couple of dating sites recently and I am swamped with women from 30 to 60 (I'm 50) who want a serious relationship. They are all divorced and they often have kids and they can't find a bloke.

Nobody wins.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 15 August 2013 12:34:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic have I given you the links to these people before:
Karen Straughan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHLMfGz3VAI
Davis Aurini:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz05eePvP0
Dean Esmay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnYavs0S2
Stefan Molyneux:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjmsKr2S0w

Suseonline, one for you too:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324600704578405280211043510.html
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 15 August 2013 4:14:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Jay, I started to watch last time and got distracted. I've bookmarked them this time and will watch them on the weekend when I'm taking a break from doing some assessment tasks.

I must say though that I don't like the term "men's rights". It's just as bad as "feminism", possibly worse, because it is exclusive, not inclusive. Howard had a good idea, if limited, in the concept of "mutual obligation". That's what we should be trying to get people to think about. Focussing on "rights" is emphasising difference and selfishness, when the essence of humanity is that we are all part of a greater whole.

What men want most is a right to contribute to the wellbeing of women and be recognised as a useful contributor by good women and gain the respect of their male peers for that. What women want is the right to be surrounded by men who are contributors and to be recognised as being worth the contribution of those men and gain the respect of their female peers for that.

A marriage partnership should be greater than the sum of its parts. The model we have today reduces it to less than either part and makes up the difference with regulation and rules and handouts and counselling and medication and eventually lawyers and courts and misery.

I used to cox rowing crews when I was at school. The cox's most important job is to keep the crew stroking at the right pace at the right time in the race. Each oarsman keeps time with the one he is directly ahead of and the most sternward one, the Stroke, takes his cadence from the cox, who calls the timing because he can see where they are on the course and relative to other boats and he can see how each of the crew is keeping up the effort. There's no point trying to raise the rate if the bowman is already struggling, it will only end in disaster.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 15 August 2013 7:23:46 PM
Given the tension between men and women that exists palpably on these pages it's amazing that any men and any women want to be in any kind of permanent union. A state of war seems to exist among many of us. And still marriage as an idea persists. Even some gay men seem to want marriage, if gay marriage can be said to be possible and desirable:

Peter Berger has an amusing comment:

The idea that a man should fixate his sexual drive permanently and exclusively on one single woman, with whom he is to share bed, bathroom and the boredom of a thousand bleary-eyed breakfasts, was produced by misanthropic theologians…. Invitation to Sociology pp.85-6
Posted by Bronte, Thursday, 15 August 2013 7:53:51 PM
Oh for goodness sakes, don't even 'patriachs' have daughters and sisters?
Why on earth do some feminists think there is this conspiracy out there against girls education?
That's just sexist rubbish.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 20 August 2013 9:49:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy