The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Prime Minister Abbott - can he really step up? > Comments

Prime Minister Abbott - can he really step up? : Comments

By Graham Winter, published 18/7/2013

Fundamentally, Tony Abbott scares a lot of people for three reasons firmly rooted in his strengths.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Of course, what Mr Winter sees as strengths might equally be argued as Abbott's weaknesses. There are other clues as to what sort of PM Abbott might make. One is the rabbit caught in the headlights look about him as Rudd surges past him in the polls,, which betrays the image of a man coasting to victory and seeing that snatched from his grasp.

A second clue in the fact that he has surrounded himself with a largely mediocre front bench and stuck with them despite manifest failings on their part. The thought of Morrison and Bishop to name but two holding senior portfolios is dismaying.

Conversely, the most talented and popular front bencher, Turnbull, is kept in a relatively minor portfolio, which speaks volumes about how threatened Abbott is by someone manifestly superior to himself.

One should not forget that Abbott won the leadership by a single vote. Some might argue that this suggests those who know him best had profound reservations at the time. Spending the time since as, to borrow a phrase, a nattering nabob of negativity, has done nothing to allay those fears.
Posted by James O'Neill, Thursday, 18 July 2013 9:21:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o dear, this is such a wrong-headed article!

Surely what we need to be concentrating on is policies. The character and ability of the leader is far and away a lesser thing.

As much as I detest Rudd, his overall policy position is preferable to Abbott’s….. and that is surely the most important thing to consider here.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 18 July 2013 9:49:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is one of the most insightful articles about Tony Abbott I have read so far.

"No doubt that Tony Abbott's determined focus gets him down the highway on a bike, or holding his message to small simplistic chants like 'Stop the Boats' or 'Cash splash', but as a leader he lacks warmth and the ability to engage across boundaries. This inability to connect with people is arguably his greatest achilles heel..."

Yes indeed.
Whatever you may think of Rudd, he certainly engages more effectively with the community, like Hawke and Howard were able to do.

The 'quality' I dislike the most in Abbott is his aggression.
When things don't go his way in discussions with journalists, I have been embarrassed watching his furious silences and angry stance.

But Ludwick is right in that it should be the policies that decide the next election, and the Liberal policies are so far very thin on the ground.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 18 July 2013 10:20:14 AM
Abbott reminds me of Gillard: someone who, potentially, may be promoted far beyond his stock of capabilities.

Of course, Turnbull is far superior to Abbott just as Rudd, even with his flaws, was far superior to Gillard.

Depose Abbott and put Turnbull in his place and give the Australian electorate a real contest to engage with!

P.S. Of course, given my druthers, I would rather a contest over ideas rather than another bosses vs workers confrontation!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 18 July 2013 10:49:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article Graham; encapsulates my feelings about Abbott to a tee.

I was very frustrated when personality issues resulted in the deposing of Gillard when over all she did a very good job of keeping her team on task and getting reforms through. But the reality is that these days personality does matter in leadership and it will be Abbott's undoing.

Even more important is character; Gillard is I think of good character but Abbott is duplicitous, ruthless and negative; he'll never make a good PM.

Turnbull waits in the wings - a far better communicator than Abbott and more intelligent. Yes, if Government were a corporation he would definitely be leader. I wonder about factions in the Libs. Why has Abbott attained and kept power thus far? 'Factional'machinations are the only explanation as far as I can see (albeit more covert than Labor's). Neo-conservatives(Abbott's camp) vs small L Libs (Turnbull?
Posted by Roses1, Thursday, 18 July 2013 11:23:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As I see it, all real leaders are arrogant. They also have incorruptible core beliefs and are not easily swayed. Not a problem unless extreme; and or, the Leader fails to consult!
For mine, Tony Abbott has displayed vision, with an enunciated plan to develop the north.
You know, that place where most of our rain falls.
He is also prepared to go to a double dissolution, if the senate tries to block or steal the people's mandate!
I'M here to help, Kevin Rudd, failed that test and a few others, as a so-called leader, facing the greatest moral challenge of the century!
I believe Tony Abbott can win, but he will need to start trickling out fully costed policies very soon, or invoke growing suspicion that he really is hiding something; like a newer version of work choices?
We need to remember that Tony Abbott only leads with the "permission" of the party room, and a one vote majority!
If he goes too far with his "Leadership", they may well withdraw that permission.
We do have two precedents for dismissing sitting PM's.
One where supply was denied, forcing the Governor General to use his reserve powers, and other, where the party removed a Leader, who reportedly suffered the equivalent of a political nervous breakdown?
I believe the coalition will win, if only by a narrow majority?
Which would then make it difficult to exercise any so-called mandate.
And the greens can be counted on to bend over backwards, to block much of the coalition's policies; be it stopping the boats, or undoing some of the most extreme measures, forced on Labour by the recalcitrant, power hungry greens.
Who as you know want to reduce carbon, all while effectively, blocking the most effective measures of doing so; dams and nuclear power!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 18 July 2013 11:40:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy