The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our overcrowded planet: a failure of family planning > Comments

Our overcrowded planet: a failure of family planning : Comments

By Robert Engelman, published 10/7/2013

Many of the world's poorest and most conflict-prone countries are growing faster than thought because many governments are no longer making family planning a high priority.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Family planning is effective when there is greater prosperity, which explains why richer countries tend to have lower birth rates. The bad news is that greater prosperity also means over-consumption, which negates the benefits of having lower birth rates.

On top of that, a global capitalist system requires increasing production and consumption of goods in order to maintain economic growth. That means the prosperous middle class, which makes up only a small portion of the global population, can only maintain their earnings as long as the middle class grows.
Posted by Anton, Thursday, 18 July 2013 10:42:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My understanding of family planning is that it is effective when offered. Critics tend to be presumptuous about the wishes of women in developing countries, usually presuming that such women want to have lots of kids for all manner of reasons.

<The bad news is that greater prosperity also means over-consumption, which negates the benefits of having lower birth rates.>

What does this mean? Does it mean that Tokyo and Dharavi are on a par? It also makes me wonder what sort lives people should be living. I myself am a technical optimist and have no guilt about my consumption. Rather, I see technological progress as the driver of prosperity, and I have no desire to have a Year Zero life.

You might also note that capitalism has no requirement for population growth. Surely even a cursory glance at economies would suggest that technical development has much more to offer than ballooning populations.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 19 July 2013 6:21:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*My understanding of family planning is that it is effective when offered*

Exactly!
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 19 July 2013 7:33:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy