The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The stories Australians won't read > Comments

The stories Australians won't read : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 14/6/2013

Historians will ponder and explore these 15 accomplishments with wonder and delight.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Like the author, I've been living overseas for the last few months. Everyone I talk to on the subject of Australia, bar none, views Australia as one of the great success stories of the GFC. They look at me in disbelief when I tell them that the government is facing annihilation at the next election.

This is what is so sad for people living within Australia, because they don't see how they have been systematically drip-fed to ignore the government's impressive achievements - which are the envy of the world - and only focus on a distorted, largely artificial scenario of incompetence and disarray.

There is a lot that Australians need to learn about how power operates in their own country and the extent to which public opinion is manipulated
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 14 June 2013 7:02:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kipp - Quote "OLO is like reading the letter pages in the News Corp media, no objective contribution, just vitriolic comments by the usual crew."

I assume you include yourself in that category, considering you failed to contribute anything of substance.

With the exception of witless sarcasm.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 14 June 2013 8:19:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
views Australia as one of the great success stories of the GFC
Killarney,
I have a friend who lives in Europe & every time I have a whinge he says what you're saying.
"but Australia is still the best country". I'm not denying that but that is not the point. The point is that why are so many Australians so hellbent on changing that. Australia is not the best country because of our Governments, it is better because of the low population. Try to imagine 200 million Australians, ok you see what I mean ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 14 June 2013 9:31:38 PM
Alan, Why do you bother?
People have stopped listening. And you just would not believe the level of unrequited hate, directed against our first female PM!
Besides, the Labour party need to spend some time in the political wilderness, to fix what is wrong.
The very first being the way a Prime Minister/party Leader can be elected or sacked!
Labour leadership ought to be decided by the entire membership, not this or that faction or a majority of the parliamentary caucus. And it should take the entire membership to remove the Leader, not just a few behind the scenes power brokers!
Candidates ought to be chosen by the electorate, in a primary, not a stacked and racked branch, or parachuted in at the behest of a few union heavies or factional chief.
Essential internal reform is arguably the only way we can rid the party of problematic personalities, (fiscal conservatives, economic drys,) who arguably belong on the other side of the aisle; and or, who clearly crave power for its own sake, rather than simply wanting to serve their fellow Australians.
Essential reform will not occur, as long as the party continues to govern.
Besides, winning the treasury seats at this time, is almost certain to be a poisoned chalice, with dark clouds looming on our economic horizon. Most of which will be blamed on/sheeted home to the very next government?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 14 June 2013 11:30:10 PM
The opposition are on a winner here! Just as long as they can keep the masses focusing on the internal conflicts, real or imagined, inside labour, they will not have to release a single costed policy, to win the next election, in a landslide.
Besides, why should they even bother to think up or cost a policy, when all they need serve up is yet another slogan. Or indeed, a book full of them and their aspirations.
Sure to work, given the most gullible have already swallowed all of the negative smear and innuendo campaign, hook, line and sinker?
And then we wonder why, the more able, just don't want to get into politics!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 14 June 2013 11:46:58 PM
G’day, Cobbers. Back in Straya.
Thanks for the feedback. Excellent!

@Jon J, re: “Gillard has cycled through ministers so quickly none have had the chance to become corrupt.”

Have you compared tenures, JJ? How many ministers did Howard sack for corruption?

Refer here: http://www.independentaustralia.net/2012/politics/ministerial-responsibility-in-australia-accuracy-please/

@Jon J and Praxidice, re Wayne Swan: Which nation anywhere in the world at any time past or present has had better economic management than Australia today?

@Shadow Minister, re: “interest rates have been lowered because the economy is doing so badly.”

Really? Joe Hockey and Peter Costello said countless times, “interest rates will always be lower under a Coalition Government.” Correct?

Interest rates in Australia are now absolutely optimum. Lower than any time in 50 years. But well above Europe’s near-zero rates. No?

@Praxidice, re Queensland: On how many variables are the majority of Queenslanders – not the super rich – better off now than under Labor?

@imajulianutter, re: “why 70% of Australians are not going to vote for the fiscal conservatives who have bought us these magnificent conditions”

Hmmm. Probably the same reason 70% of Australians opposed Whitlam’s 1972 decision to trade with China. Or 70% of Australians opposed Keating’s 1985 proposal to have a goods and services tax. Or 70% of Australians opposed Keating’s decision to deregulate the banks and float the dollar.

History will judge, Keith. Just wait a while.

@Rhrosty, re: “Alan, Why do you bother?”

Because there is still a thirst for the truth. This article – and all my pieces here – get run elsewhere. Responses vary.

Re: “People have stopped listening.”

No, the opposite is true. The contract has not been fulfilled. In Westminster democracies, governments govern and reporters report. That is the deal. Except in Australia.

[North Korea also, though that’s not a Westminster nation.]

Re: “the way a Prime Minister/party Leader can be elected or sacked!”

Really, Rhrosty?

Since December 2006, how many leaders has Labor elected? Two? How many have the Liberals had? Four?

At the last leadership poll, which party had the result 41-42 – a stalemate/deadlock/impasse/deadlock/standoff if ever there was one?

Cheers,
Posted by Alan Austin, Saturday, 15 June 2013 3:44:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14