The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The stories Australians won't read > Comments

The stories Australians won't read : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 14/6/2013

Historians will ponder and explore these 15 accomplishments with wonder and delight.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
I don't necessarily with all this article says.

I do endorse what he says about the media.

All we seem to get is:
rehashed "leadership woes" stories
blatant plugs for products
journalists writing about themselves
so-called "celebrities" promoting themselves

Thanks Al
Posted by Bronte, Tuesday, 18 June 2013 12:40:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan,
I don’t know if you purposely sent me off on a wild goose chase or I just got lost but I didn’t find any 76.6%.
It still seems strange to me that the participation rate is there on your link for all to see and yet you claim it is actually somewhere else.

Also, that 60% of mine does exclude babies and schoolies under 16. (true it might include the oldies)
Now my time to give directions: On that same page, click ‘Explanatory Notes’ then ‘ Glossary’ on the left and scroll down to the definition of ‘participation rate’
“…the labour force expressed as a percentage of the civilian population aged 15 years and over…”
Posted by Edward Carson, Tuesday, 18 June 2013 3:15:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Alan

29% in the polls today and falling.
Do you reckon they are all lemmings?

Similar polls say Kevy will increase that by 6%.
Do you really think they will leap with Julia?

Reports in The CM Brisbanes Labor bugle say Kevin has the numbewrs but won't challenge unless the support is overwhelming.

Julia's mates appearing on tv are reduced to Emmerson and Bradbury Everybody else is issuing press releases ... unsolicited.

How long do you think this farce can continue?
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 18 June 2013 8:34:42 PM
Greetings again all,

@individual, re: “I simply don't believe you're telling the truth re being the third best country re pensioners.”

Australia being third is according to Mercer, here: http://www.globalpensionindex.com/

I am not making this up, Indi, however much you must now just assume that all Australian journalists make up facts all the time. Most do. That is true. But not all.

If you don’t think the rankings are Denmark, Netherlands, Australia, what do you think they are? Based on what, Indi?

Re: “As far as unfairness goes Australia is probably at the top.”

No. You were near the top a few years ago. You are now far more equal than five years ago. This is measured by the GINI index. Start here: http://data.worldbank.org/country/australia Then google for more data.

Re: “a road to nowhere no matter how pretty a picture the likes of you are trying to paint for us.”

Not trying to paint anything, Indi. Just pointing you to the actual data which shows that you are imbibing falsehoods, distortions and manipulation on a daily basis.

@Edward Carson, no, definitely gave you accurate directions. Have just checked. Are you sure you are clicking on the ‘downloads’ tab on the original page linked in the article?

The tab is in grey, second from the left in the row of tabs, just below all the headings. If you follow those instructions you will eventually access these figures:

Job participation rate Persons trend, column AE: 76.6%
Job participation rate Persons seasonally adjusted, column BO: 76.6%
Job participation rate Persons original, column DE: 76.6%

They all happen to be the same this month. Not always so.

@Imajulianutter:

Hi Keith. Please read the article again. And then read what you have just posted. You demonstrate the validity of the case presented overwhelmingly.

So, thank you.

Cheers,
Posted by Alan Austin, Wednesday, 19 June 2013 1:11:49 AM
Seriously, AA's prominence at OLO has no real impact at all.

I can only imagine he is real articulate and hard to debate with in person. in other words, in the right setting, he would come across as cocky and master of his own message. No doubt, he would impress some (a minority).

But what is the real art of politics? It is certainly not about us mere people who write opinion pieces or even academic articles. It is about all players getting out there and selling or reporting their message; some will report news, others will be interest groups, political parties and so on. It is this dynamic interaction which will determine Aust's direction.

So how would AA go before a real audience in most Aust communities or forums representative of the mainstream or cross-section of Aust society, not Q&A or an other rather useless forum which only a minority watch.

The answer of course would be that AA would be booed off; perhaps even laughed at.

So AA, take your opportunities on OLO to promote you bias, and even blame the media, but you really have no idea about what is going on in Aust politics.

Perhaps Rudd will do better than Gillard, but as far as I am concerned, Rudd will make an even easier target for Abbott and the Coalition to ridicule over an election campaign which will indeed focus on real evidence and footage of Labor's many shortcomings.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 19 June 2013 8:32:07 AM
Chris Lewis,

It might be more helpful, instead devoting your time criticising Alan, that you address his case.

As a fellow article writer, I'm sure that's the type of treatment you'd prefer.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 19 June 2013 11:19:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All