The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Media piracy and the rise of the libertine consumer > Comments

Media piracy and the rise of the libertine consumer : Comments

By Trajce Cvetkovski, published 23/5/2013

Swashbuckling consumers are pirating corporate intellectual property and there doesn't appear to be the social will to stop them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Seldom do I react with intense desire to reach through the computer screen to throttle an author...

But,

"Corporate citizen..." by the third repetition did it for me.

Especially when people are described as "ordinary citizens". You may be ordinary but in my delusion, I'm not.

They are not citizens. They are corporations.

"In other words, digitalization of popular media has raised questions about the capacity for neo-pluralistic metagovernors to continue controlling copyright in its current form."

In other words, copyright owners have a problem controlling their copyrights... not my problem!
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 23 May 2013 8:28:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
it's theft by any other name. full stop.
Posted by SHRODE, Thursday, 23 May 2013 12:08:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here is theft:

I buy a book. I've paid for it and it's mine to read it, store it, lend it to a friend, read it again in another part of the world, sell it second-hand, do pretty well what I like with it other than plagiarise its contents or sell it separate from its cover.

I buy a DVD. It's mine. But some thieving corporation nobbles it so that if I bring it home from overseas and try to play it then all I get is a screen telling me it can't be played where I live, and the same thing happens if I send it to a friend or relative living overseas.

This is theft by the corporation of the money paid for the DVD. Yet the thieves who cheat purchasers in that way cry holy murder against pirates. My heart fails to bleed for them.

There are ways of de-nobbling DVDs so they'll play anywhere. More strength to the elbow of tjhose who can find ways to override the regionalisation. Sir Francis Drake ripped off Spanish pirates and the best of British luck to him.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Thursday, 23 May 2013 3:30:27 PM
It is theft.

The best way to combat this phenomena, I believe, is to make it technologically as easy as possible to pay.

Let the payment-details be encoded within the file formats.
Let the software do it all smoothly for you:
You have been downloading, copying and burning different things all day, too busy to track down exactly what you did, then you should be able to just click on {Pay Now} and all copyright micro-payments are combined on your records into one while the software does everything necessary to silently locate the payees and give them what's due.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 23 May 2013 10:11:18 PM
Copyright is a unique situation where at the moment of creation of a work, a legal monopoly on its use is also created. While most people think that is reasonable for the creators to be rewarded for their efforts, they object to the way the monopoly is used to maximise profits through restricting access. This discontent is much easier to act on with the decreasing cost of reproduction.

While the owners of highly desired copyright material continue to use their monopoly position to drive the price up beyond what people think is fair value, piracy will continue to occur.

It will be interesting to see if streaming services find a balance that is satisfactory for both sides.

There is a very interesting podcast discussing copyright here:
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/videoAndAudio/channels/publicLecturesAndEvents/player.aspx?id=1899
Posted by Grumbler, Friday, 24 May 2013 2:34:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy