The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dance on Thatcher's grave, but remember there has been a coup in Britain > Comments

Dance on Thatcher's grave, but remember there has been a coup in Britain : Comments

By John Pilger, published 29/4/2013

Margaret Thatcher's funeral was a propaganda stunt, fit for a dictator: an absurd show of militarism, as if a coup had taken place.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thankyou John for reminding us of the heinous acts of Thatcher, or rather the Reagan-Thatcher duo. I recall my rage at the sinking of the 'General Bellegrano' and her support of the murderous Pinochet and Pol Pot. I thought 'the UK are supposed to be our allies?".

Unfortunately people don't learn; here in Australia we have a majority poised to support Abbott - a return to Thatcherite neo-liberlalism. Well if it happens people will see what 'even more of the same' will do for our standard of living, as Britain is experiencing now. Our mining boom won't last forever and the '3 speed economy' will lose its top gear, not that it will make much difference to the majority who only get the high rents.
Posted by Roses1, Monday, 29 April 2013 11:40:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We have seen that people in different walks of
life may interpret the same phenomenon whether
it is a protest, a religious doctrine, a PM's
policies, or even a funeral, in very different
ways. In other words, people tend to see the
world from a viewpoint of subjectivity, an
interpretation based on personal values and
experiences, as well as in some cases, on political
inclinations.

Therefore it is not surprising that Mr Pilger
sees the funeral of Baroness Margaret Thatcher
as "propaganda." I, on the other hand, watching it saw
what London does best, and what tourists come to see -
pomp and ceremony at its best. Also, the funeral was
not a "Memorial Service," but simply a Church Service,
and a very moving one at that. The people of the UK
demonstrated the week prior to the funeral, but on
the day itself- they behaved with great civility.

Love her or loathe her - she was a force to be reckoned
with - and even in death, she had the last say.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 29 April 2013 12:07:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The elites of this planet want to reduce the world's pop by 90%. Man is destroying the planet via global warming and evironmental destruction,so we are told.

Remember that it their planet and not yours.You have to join the billionaire club to be saved.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 10:04:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Arjay,

Through collective action, ordinary people
with few resources can become an irresistible
force in history. Once people no longer take
their world for granted, but instead understand
the social authorship of their lives and futures
they can change things.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 4:30:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pilger's comments on the sinking of the General Bellagrano call into dispute the accuracy of his other allegations against Thatcher. This ship was a direct threat to the British taskforce in a war zone. It was not Thatcher who instigated the sinking but the Royal Navy commanders who considered it to be a direct threat who sought the agreement of not just Thatcher but the War Cabinet.
I can't comment on Thatcher's involvement in Cambodia or Vietnam except to say it is difficult to see what impact a mid sized European country could have on these countries on the other side of the world. With Pilger's record of accuracy I doubt the truth is anything like what has been presented.
Posted by Anthony P, Monday, 13 May 2013 10:32:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy