The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Neo-liberalism and illicit drug liberalization: a natural alliance? > Comments

Neo-liberalism and illicit drug liberalization: a natural alliance? : Comments

By Philip Mendes, published 22/4/2013

The American economist Milton Friedman argued as early as 1972 that all drugs should be completely legalized.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The benefits that would come from ending the 'war on drugs' include a huge reduction in the number of individuals in jail, better quality control for recreational drugs where now there is none, less black money floating around the world getting up to no good, removing an entire class of predator (the drug pusher) from our midst and a huge boost in government tax revenue.
Just consider one question: What fuels the outlaw motorcycle gangs?
The main drawback in ending this futile war is that governments would have to invent another reason to spy on us. But as the 'war on terror' seems to be assuming that role, perhaps an end to the former would benefit all parties, that is both citizens and their governments.
Recreational drugs are here to stay. Instead of keeping our heads in the sand, why not get ahead of the curve? This would mean regulation, including alcohol, not prohibition, including narcotics.
Posted by halduell, Monday, 22 April 2013 9:06:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>What fuels the outlaw motorcycle gangs?<<

I believe they derive a lot of income from the manufacture and sale of amphetamines: speed cooked in bathtubs by god knows who instead amphetamines synthesised in proper laboratory by a proper chemist. Guess which batch of amphetamines will be more safe?

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Monday, 22 April 2013 10:20:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An addictive drug that causes great damage is already legal. However, alcohol did much more damage during Prohibition in the United States when it was illegal. Can't we learn from that.

BTW can we also stop thinking in terms of left and right. On the far right was Hitler and on the far left was Lenin, two enemies of democracy. I don't want to be anywhere on a spectrum defined by those two.
Posted by david f, Monday, 22 April 2013 10:35:36 AM
Come on Phil. i thought you once argued that we are dominated by neoliberalism. Looks like Friedman was not that influential after all, bit like the reality of the rest of life and economy.

Balance is the answer, not extremes between free reign or mass regulations. There are alwasy pros and cons from all arguments.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 22 April 2013 10:54:30 AM
When we created a heroin drought, we all but compelled the production and use of crack and ice!
And indeed, even more violent crime.
Addicts rarely if ever spend their own money, but purchase their habit from the proceeds of crime, some of it violent.
The war on drugs has to date, cost more lives than the second world war and the Vietnam war combined.
A full two thirds of our prisons are full with drug offenders; and as noted, kids go in guilty of nothing more than smoking a little weed, snorting a little coke or shooting a little heroin.
None of these things result in harm to others?
Unless you factor in the crimes committed to make the money needed to feed the habit.
And then, only because these things remain illegal.
Make no mistake, we the public are paying for all these drugs through our insurance premiums, and the massive extra spent on housing/confining addicts.
Why, this trade goes on virtually unimpeded, even while offenders are parked in prisons.
The cost to us of housing just one addict, is now around $140,000.00 PA!
The war on drugs has been waged relentlessly for over fifty years, with no diminution of drug use or violence, rather, just the opposite.
And this war destroys thousands of lives and gobbles up billions annually.
Prohibition was sanely discontinued, because it didn't work and won't work.
Abortion was sanely legalised, because the laws against it were unenforceable.
Ditto actually making any substance illegal! They grow it, bake it, or find it growing wild in our forests!
We spend massive extra billions in additional policing and prisons!
For what actual outcome?
A different approach is required.
Education at early school age would be a useful start.
And the legalising of most drugs and outlets.
We grow poppies for heaven's sake!
And the illegal trade is all but funding the Taliban!
And that is only possible, because we have made this trade illegal.
If it were not illegal, Taliban funding would dry up!
Ditto Columbian drug lords!
It's a no brainer!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 22 April 2013 10:59:36 AM
Good article and fantastic to read a bunch of sensible posts about it rather than the usual scare mongering about how everyone will become a drug addict the moment you legalize or decriminalize. Perhaps there really has been a shift in Australian public opinion. Unfortunately such rationality doesn't seem to have reached our politicians yet.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Monday, 22 April 2013 11:24:50 AM
As an official of the then UN International Drug Control Program in Pakistan, I was a paid-up drug warrior. I came to see that my work was not merely ineffective: it was counter-productive, drawing attention to strategies which did not work and taking it from consideration of drug law reform. The war on drugs spreads corruption not only in societies of the broadly prosperous West but also in more fragile poor countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan, where opium poppy cultivation and guns form a potent combination. Let's move to evidence-based policies. I published a couple of articles along these lines, "Squeezing the Balloon" and "Troublesome Boomerang".
Posted by Asclepius, Monday, 22 April 2013 11:42:32 AM
An elderly couple whom I know had their home invaded and searched by police because the infra-red light patterns of their house seemed from a police-helicopter's vantage similar to those of a hydroponic marijuana-plantation.

My taxes paid to keep that helicopter in the air, burning fuel; my taxes paid handsomely for poor-scientists and engineers experimenting with their infra-red devices, who instead of doing their calculations properly and meticulously, used real people as their laboratory-animals; and my taxes paid for policemen to break in and traumatise an elderly couple. My taxes also pay for feeding a large number of prisoners convicted for drug offences and their warders.

Speaking of prisoners, did you know that because of the drug issue, Australian prisoners, including those who were never involved with drugs, are not allowed to bring into prison any personal items? No books (including for educational correspondence courses), clothes, musical instruments, food (from visitors), small sentimental items of memory, not even their own tooth-brush. Such cruelty for what?

Drugs are bad - the war on drugs is much worse!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 22 April 2013 3:34:52 PM
what fuels the outlaw gangs well. I used to deal for some of them and what was fueling them was the police force. Recycling the proceeds from drug lab raids. Police Psudo watch was designed to deliver a monopoly control of amphetamine distribution to the police ,who could obtain it from confiscated shipments on the docks and turn a blind eye on their triad partners imports FOR A FEE.
Posted by motorcyclemessiah, Monday, 29 April 2013 3:13:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't believe that we had a serious drug problem until we blindly followed the US into "The War on Drugs". After all, drugs have been around for millennia. As with Prohibition, this war was probably initiated by religious bigots wishing to impose their own morals on the rest of us.
Read "High Society" by Ben Elton for a brilliant insight into the damaging effects of this war on British society; of the damage done to the wider society as well as those directly involved, such as the users, the police, and the legal system as a whole. These costs are enormous, and I am sure that if the general public were better educated about this, all drugs would be legalized.
Do we have international agreements that would prohibit us from "going it alone", instead of blindly following the US in such a stupid way?
Posted by Beaucoupbob, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 1:27:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy