The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia: the Security Council > Comments

Australia: the Security Council : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 22/4/2013

America is as much the problem as it is a solution in seeking resolution to the ongoing tensions on the Korean peninsula.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Bruce, I agree with most of your analysis of the problem, viz that the US is a greater contributor to the problem than it is to the solution. Even then you are really too kind by half.

The bigger problem comes with your proposed solutions. To expect Australia to show initiative independently of the US is, sad to say, largely a pipe dream. One does not have to go past our supine response to the US inspired mass slaughter of the Suharto regime's opponents, the non-response to the 1975 invasion of Timor, the all the way with LBJ in Vietnam, the illegal invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq etc etc.

Listen to Julie Bishop on Syria and Iran. Her dangerous ignorance is surpassed only by her slavish adherence to the US's foreign policy. This is the likely foreign minister after 14 September.

When and if Australia grows a spine we should look again at the notion of a non-aligned and truly independent Australia, friends with both China and the US.
Posted by James O'Neill, Monday, 22 April 2013 8:10:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I heard the other day that Australia is going to join the U.S. and South Korea in military exercises soon.

What China will make of this 'togetherness' I don't know but obviously the Australian 'Government' doesn't care.

Australia's subservience to the U.S. is sickening and stupid. Is there no one in Canberra who can see the danger we run by aligning ourselves with the world's biggest warmonger and imperialist?

Perhaps we should call ourselves 'Austramericans'!
Posted by David G, Monday, 22 April 2013 10:09:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
you clever guys can slag off about our supposed subservience to the US as much as you like.

In real terms, Aust will long side with the US, as the Aust people want for justitifed reasons. Only fools can suggest that China and the US are supposedly equal in terms of encouraging peace and prosperity in the world.

Stop just looking at bad past play by the US and weigh up what would really happen if authoritarian China was allowed to rise and rise. Do you honestly think that Australia could temper the type of state China is by itself?

If you come up with the answers to why our close relationship with the US should not exist, then tell the Aust people why. However, I suspect your arguments will not win the day. You need more evidence that just highlighting the past.

In any case, why exclude the economoic role played by the US in allowing China to improve its well being?

Yep, it is cruel world, and we always need to choose best friends, not live in a world of make believe.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 22 April 2013 10:26:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@David G. Actually David, the joint exercises were last month although you would be hard pressed to find reporting of that in the Oz media. Those exercises included dummy bombing runs against North Korea and a range of other provocations. North Korea is a classic "useful idiot" country. When provoked it issues outrageous threats it has no intention or capacity to carry out. The fact of the threats however enables the US to justify spending vast sums of missile "defence" thereby greatly enriching the usual suspects; and also justifies their continued military buildup in East Asia aimed at "containing" China.

@Chris Lewis. Chris, we look back at recent history for a very good reason. It is one of the best predictors of future behaviour. Ask yourself this simple question: over the past 60 years who has waged wars of aggression, the US or China? Question 2: who fosters dictatorships, arms jihadists, and carries out, inter alia, bombings, sabotage, terrorist acts and all types of interference in the domestic affairs of foreign countries.

Question 3: what do you think the American response would be if China carried out military exercises in the Gulf of Mexico?

I could pose more questions but I think the point is made.
Posted by James O'Neill, Monday, 22 April 2013 12:04:43 PM
James, i also deplore past US actions.

However, i cannot see how an authoritarian state, much less accountable to its own people, will not behave much worse should it ever get the opportunity to be a global superpower.

I think what you see now is cautious beahviour by China, nothing more.

Ask yourself why China's neighbours are also wary of this growing power and ask for more US support.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 22 April 2013 12:15:52 PM
Chris, before the Industrial Revolution China was the world's superpower. Despite sending out great fleets in the 15th century which circumnavigated the world they did not establish a single foreign base.

Your argument essentially is predicated on an assumption that when China reasserts her traditional dominant role she will behave badly. Of course that is possible. Against that we have the established fact of the US behaving badly since at least WW2. In my view that behaviour has gotten worse as they exploited their sole superpower status.

The re-rise of China is a challenge to that hegemony and on balance I think the world will be better for it.
Posted by James O'Neill, Monday, 22 April 2013 1:50:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy