The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Please Tony Burke, stop insulting us > Comments

Please Tony Burke, stop insulting us : Comments

By Joseph Wakim, published 26/3/2013

Tony Burke shows the contemptible side of political correctness and the softly-softly approach.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Where does a democratically elected government fit with your views of history, Tim A?

>>Joe Hakim is right to ridicule the parallel Burke draws between the British army in Ireland (an occupation with eight centuries of history)<<

If you send your elected representatives to a parliament, how are you then able to describe that government as being in "occupation" of your territory?

Perhaps you can go one better, and explain the manner in which Syrians have voted for their various governments over that eight hundred year period?
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 9:24:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,

Sounds like you’re endorsing the long history of English tyranny and occupation in Ireland that the terrorist, Cromwell commenced. Oh, but there is a democratic parliament now so it should not even be considered an occupation. I suppose decimating approximately 40% of the Irish population doesn't even count? “Divide and Conquer” has always been their Motto afterall. Judging from what’s happening in the UK now, it seems it is now finally coming back to bite them.

I’ve read that Oliver Cromwell is considered in the top 3 of England’s favourite heroes. So there you go.

You’re an English migrant, aren’t you?
Posted by Constance, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 8:21:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,

The English saved the Irish? Oh please.

And Incest?

You have gotten ridiculous. Are you English too?
Posted by Constance, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 8:23:22 PM
If there is blame to be homed, there are many sheets in this history, Constance...

Acknowledging "the contemptible side of political correctness and the softly-softly approach" in the context of Ireland I want to record my contempt for Diarmait Mac Murchada requesting Norman intervention in regaining his Kingship of Leinster.

And if the Vikings - who as pagans probably didn't know any better - hadn't established Waterford and Dublin, along with Limmerick and Cork, Henry II wouldn't have had somewhere to land, occupy and control.

But there is no escaping the role of Christianity... ultimately, it is surely Pope Adrian IV's Laudabiliter that 'upped the ante'?

History. So there you go; ridiculous.
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 28 March 2013 10:06:06 AM
Are you an Pommy too, Trev?
Posted by Constance, Friday, 29 March 2013 7:41:15 PM
Looks like you three didn't like what I said. Oh well, so there you go. History as it suits you.
Posted by Constance, Friday, 29 March 2013 7:44:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy