The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cost of Iraq War drains the US in race with China > Comments

Cost of Iraq War drains the US in race with China : Comments

By Brendon O'Connor, published 21/3/2013

Pride, as they say, comes before a fall. In the case of the Iraq War, this fall of the US may well be unending.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I find very little in Professor O'Connor's article that I can disagree with. Most of what he writes is history, a matter of record. However, I do believe he strays into the trap of assuming the United States' decline is inevitable, and that China's economy will continue to grow at its current rate into the foreseeable future.

I will not go into the reasons why the US has the ability to confront disaster by reinventing itself, as it has done in the past. It is too complicated a subject for these comments. The problems that confront China are much clearer: A significant proportion of its population is still living on the poverty line, while others flout their new-found wealth in outrageous and unacceptable ways. The poor and the thinking middle class have no outlets for their grievances. Corruption is rife and the ways of dealing with it are haphazard and inefficient. The media is tame and the Government, for all its pious words, has yet to show an ability to reform itself.

It is a nation in a political straightjacket. Unless a reforming leadership emerges, it will, one day, implode.
Posted by Graham Cooke, Thursday, 21 March 2013 1:09:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not just the U.S economy in trouble, is it.
Greece, Spain, Cyprus,the EU and numerous others did not go to Iraq.
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 21 March 2013 4:29:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Congratulations to OLO on publishing this article. It shows that not all Australians are Yank-worshipers and sycophants.

Australia needs to come to terms with both the failing power of the U.S. and the danger of its ridiculous mission to control the world.

Yanks can't walk on water despite their high opinion of themselves. Australia needs to choose its allies carefully otherwise, in the future, it could find itself in the wrong camp.

Then Australia is in a perilous situation itself with its pathetic Government which is seriously divided and filled with hatred.
Posted by David G, Friday, 22 March 2013 6:48:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy