The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia must do more to help women in our region > Comments

Australia must do more to help women in our region : Comments

By Teresa Gambaro, published 8/3/2013

Today is International Women's Day, but it seems a pity that a special day needs to be designated to focus greater awareness and action on an issue of such importance.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Must look more closely at how many of these rat bags there are in the Libs.

Katter looks better after this rubbish from one of the sisterhood.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 9 March 2013 12:54:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<society prospers and flourishes best when women are properly valued for their insights, skills and vital contributions in building our communities and enriching our lives.>>

With communists in the Liberal party, who needs Labor?

<<Domestic violence against women is wrong.>>

And so is domestic violence against men and so is ANY violence.

<<This commitment was meant to be funded by new money>>

Translation - you will print more money, taxing people's savings through inflation.

<<It is only through such a commitment that alternate themes and priorities for International Women's Day in future years will be able to focus on something less shameful than domestic violence.>>

Nice to warn us in advance that whether this project is successful or not, even if domestic violence is totally uprooted and eradicated, some other agenda will be found so tax-payer funds will continue to be wasted indefinitely on the "Pacific Women Shaping Pacific Development" group. After all, all those public employees got use to pocket our money, so nothing can stop them.

Tony Abbott: is it with your knowledge and approval that such people are members of your party and shadow cabinet?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 10 March 2013 3:35:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,

So, you read the stats on domestic violence against women in PNG and those other Pacific Island nations (embedded in their cultural 'acceptance' - though apparently not so heinous as perhaps in India and some Islamic quarters), and the rates of maternal and child mortality in childbirth - AND you're happy with that situation??

You can't be ever so slightly misogynistic, can you Yuyutsu? (Since the author also just happens to be female?) Or, excessively patriarchal and male-chauvinistic, perhaps?

How come you have a go at this one small (and in my view very worthy) aid program, while the big picture shows that the great bulk of our foreign aid is going much further afield, and therefore in my view well beyond our sphere of influence and our capacity to really 'make a difference'. That doesn't bother you, but a small meaningful program does? Unusual prioritising, I would have thought.

Fair enough, we have needs at home, particularly in our poorer and remote indigenous communities, and needs for new job creation, but surely some worthwhile targeted foreign aid, particularly in our own neck of the woods, is the reasonable thing to do? (It's just like charity, after all. Those who can, do. Either that or turn a blind eye. So, which is the more ethical, or dare I say, Christian, thing to do?)

Communist Liberals? Now there's a clash of ideologies. (And an interesting oxymoron.) Diametrically opposed ideologies in fact. So, what causes you to make such an outlandish assertion?

Come now Yuyutsu, such negativity can only damage your Karma. (Women should be properly valued, after all. Put yourself in their shoes momentarily - carrying and nurturing a child for 9 months, suffering immense pain to deliver said child, and then spending the rest of your life caring for, protecting - even from men - guiding and preparing it for life's many challenges. Pretty impressive, hey, Yuyutsu? Plus caring for a male - and sometimes a bloody-minded one - feeding, toiling in fields, washing everyone's dirty drawers, and cleaning house. Where's your heart, Yuyutsu?)
Posted by Saltpetre, Sunday, 10 March 2013 8:29:00 AM
Dear Saltpetre,

Wonder why the article doesn't describe in a word what that money does?
So many words about the prevalence of domestic violence and not one about how that government-money is connected. The reason: it is not!
It's money gone to feed bureaucrats, both in Australia and overseas - and those bureaucrats already tell you that if there wasn't a domestic-violence-problem, then they would find some other issue to focus on.

This money doesn't improve karma, isn't ethical and doesn't promote compassion. It could be different if it was voluntarily given (and I would gladly contribute to a worthwhile cause, though not to bureaucrats), but it isn't: it is taken from us without our consent and prevents us from improving our karma and developing compassion by donating that same money ourselves. In the long run, such programs atrophy our compassionate and charitable muscles.

Yes, women suffer in birth and thereafter caring for children, preparing them for life's increasing challenges because more children need to compete with other women's children for the same resources. The main cause of violence is overpopulation, so not being bound by having to keep a politically-correct image (as governments do), I would donate generously to pay women for getting sterilised and committed to having no babies. Not having children will also make it easy for them to leave violent relationships.

I didn't mention "Communist Liberals", but just one communist somehow finding her way into the ranks of the Liberal party. I wouldn't bother commenting if the same was said by a Labor MP/minister as that would be a normal occurrence. What brings me to assert that? her own words: "SOCIETY prospers and flourishes...in building OUR COMMUNITIES and enriching our lives".
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 10 March 2013 10:18:09 AM
Yes so true Yuyutsu, if ever you see a pot of taxpayer money, get the hell out of there, quick time.

If you don't you'll be crushed in the stampede of bureaucrats, & academics, [you forgot them], rushing in to get their grubby hands on it. After all, we can't have anyone do anything useful with tax payer money now could we? Hell that could set precedents that would destroy the main objective of public service.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 10 March 2013 11:30:03 AM
Well, Yuyutsu, Aus seems to spread its aid $'s far and wide - I got to item# 200 just back to 28 September 2012, including early learning and primary school education in Myanmar and a railway reconstruction in Cambodia, among so many others, including many projects in our own region (Samoa, Solomons, Vanuatu, etc) and projects in Africa, Indonesia, Nepal, etc, per the AusAID website:

http://www.ausaid.gov.au/Pages/home.aspx

Mind you, in the Myanmar early school project aimed at the poor and disadvantaged, and which is part of a larger program training teachers and supporting school principals and administrators, Aus is participating in a consortium with the UK, but we're putting in $15 million to the consortium (as part of an overall Aus four year $80 million education project) to UK's $5.8 million - just slightly out of shape, given the size of our respective economies?

Nonetheless, I guess the point is that as a nation (from the combined public purse) we can do more than via individual contributions - particularly when you consider the time and effort lost by individual agencies and NGO's having to chase up donations. Also, Aus can work in concert with other governments and international agencies far more easily than independent 'charities' and NGO's.

So, I think the mechanism of AusAID is sound, just that we as individual behind the scenes contributors don't get a say in how our tax dollars are spent - but then we don't really get a say in how our governments, federal or state, get to spend those overall tax dollars anyway. So, we take it on good faith that our governments will do the right thing - for better or worse.

Do they spend our dollars wisely? I guess that's another good reason for keeping well-informed and using our votes wisely.
(Pity so many of the Aus constituency don't take much of an interest generally, and in the end result are such dip-sticks. Every vote counts the same, whether by a truly concerned citizen or a total ning-nong. Such is life - and 'democracy'.)
Posted by Saltpetre, Sunday, 10 March 2013 2:03:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy