The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mature-age women at work: undervalued at best, invisible at worst > Comments

Mature-age women at work: undervalued at best, invisible at worst : Comments

By Nareen Young, published 8/3/2013

Only 47.1% of women aged between 45 and 74 are employed full time compared to 76.9% of men.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
This may not be what it seems. My experience is that most mature aged women don't want to work full time. They want, and are able to negotiate, a balanced, less unhurried life.
Women who work full time either need a lot of support to succeed, or a lot of support when they fail. It's a hard slog, since men really don't usually carry their fair load in the domestic sphere.

So perhaps we should be celebrating the life choices made by women who work part time. If they can afford it - and their financial arrangements are usually more settled than younger women, for obvious reasons - then good on them. Their choice has been one for their own well being.
Posted by AMC, Friday, 8 March 2013 7:33:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see what the problem is Nareen has forgotten her magic wand. You know the one that you can wave and make everything better. I mean lets ignore the fact that for manys years once a women had childern she tended not to rejion the workforce. While this situation has changed (for the better) it will take some time before you see the results in all sectors and age levels. But then again maybe they haven't tried the fairy dust.
Posted by Kenny, Friday, 8 March 2013 8:44:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There ar too many numbers missing from this to get a genuine idea of the reality.

- How much super (and other assets) do people have access to is probably more relevant than how much is in their name. I suspect that for most couples the name that super is in will make little difference in either parties lifestyle, the person who survives the longest will if there is any left over normally have access to most of the assets the couple had. Perhaps some numbers on how much the long term singles have might be a better indicator of impact based on gender than the global numbers.
- It would also be interesting to get some idea of the proportions of men not working full time who would like to (or feel they need to) work more in the age brackets mentioned. The author points some figures for women working part time who would like to work more.
- It would also be worthwhile to know who would like to work less but feels compelled by responsibility to do the work they do. Do men retire later than women because of a passion for work or because they face different perceptions of rsponsibility.

A more wholistic approach to mature age employment (or unemployment) and its impacts would be usefulrather than what appears to be cherry picking convenient stats.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 8 March 2013 12:11:26 PM
Nareen has some valid points. I have observed a higher degree of age related discrimination towards women than men.

It may be for same reasons some employers prefer to employ men. It's more likely for the woman in a marriage or long term partnership to assume the greater work load for assistance to elderly relatives including 'in-laws' plus helping care for grandchildren. Family responsibilities are still seen as a female domain and also a huge reason for absenteeism. Who stays home with a sick child? Mum of course. Some Employers favour job candidates on basis of perceived stability and continuity. Choosing between a male and female applicant with very similar credentials they will favour the man.

AMC has also made a very valid observation that many mature women - and I'd suggest again, predominately those in stable relationships and financially secure don't wish to work full-time. If working part-time or casually suits these ladies, no problem. If they choose to be full-time 'Domestic Goddesses' - power to them.

Real concern would be for women who want or need to work full-time but find it difficult or impossible to find meaningful employment. Given that most mature age women belong to an era quite different from the social and working environment that todays young women are experiencing I suspect this will be less of an issue in 20 years time. While a woman aged between 45 and 60 is likely to have broken her working life with protracted period/s to rear children, the 20 to 35 year old of today has more personal and external expectations that she will continue her career, taking only short leaves of absence while depending heavily on childcare services. For better or for worse ....

My thought? Evolution in progress. Right now, maybe there needs to be further education or incentive encouraging Industry to give greater consideration to employing mature age women - and blokes as well.
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 8 March 2013 12:58:35 PM
Come on Nareen, just how greedy are woman allowed to be?

Women want a year or 2 off when they have their kids, then a nice 9 to 3 job, while the kids are at school. Makes a lovely lifestyle while the old bloke is still doing lots of overtime. If the old boy can't handle the full work load, he'll be out on his ear, but they'll probably find a nice sit down job for her.

If the old boy can't hold his job, the lady expects to move into a senior full time job, that only she thinks she is capable of, or trained for. When are you girls going to realise that 20 years of a nice easy lifestyle job does not equip you for anything else.

You quote studies to back your cry. The problem with studies is the people who undertake them. They are usually academics. With academics, who's productivity usually runs at about 15% you are unlikely to get much realistic evaluation of output.

I've employed a few old dears in my time, I like them, but don't kid yourself about their productivity. 2 of them, working 10 to 3 are no match for a "propper" employee. It is only possible because they don't cost too much. When you find a good one, you rapidly get her into a full time job, if she'll take it. No one is much use at answering queries when they aren't at work.

I don't know many women, over 55 who did not want to work less hours, unless they suddenly lost support they were depending on from someone else, usually a bloke working full time
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 8 March 2013 1:10:09 PM
Everyone's beaten me to it this time, but let's just hammer home the point: any statistic that says "More of A than B do X" is utterly useless as a guide to social policy unless we know how many As and Bs WANT to do X.

I have no doubt that many more homeless drunks in Australia are men than women, but if I wrote an article deploring the lack of opportunities in Australia for women to become homeless drunks. I'm sure that I'd be pilloried by Nareen and her comrades -- and quite rightly so.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 8 March 2013 4:15:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy