The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is super very super? > Comments

Is super very super? : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 6/3/2013

The future existence of large super funds utterly depends on keeping their members confused enough to stay with them.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
If one can earn more, just by selecting a term deposit, then super doesn't have a lot going for it.
Moreover, the rules regarding tax, change far too frequently.
Arguably, with virtually every change of Govt.
Moreover, commissions ought to be simply banned.
The returns are already too small to carry truckloads of patent parasites, who continue to take a lifetime of fees, for basically, what amounts to a single service?
We should therefore, rule out commissions paying banks, insurance companies and the like, from our list of legal providers.
And the compact ought only ever apply to a lifetime annuity, which should be annually adjusted for inflation or the CPI, whichever is the greater; and continue until the recipient turns up his/her toes!
If the providers can't comply with that requirement, their licence to operate said fund, ought to be revoked.
Super ought not be used as a de-facto tax haven, but rather come from after tax income.
And the tax system ought to be reformed and vastly simplified, so it no longer needs to carry the burden, of an entire and completely unproductive multi billion dollar industry; or indeed, a whole host of tax avoiders, some of who, may have annual budgets, larger than many sovereign nations!
A very well crafted unavoidable single stand alone expenditure tax, set at 4.8% (adjustable), would make avoidance impossible.
And indeed, add at least 100 billion to internal revenue. This would also remove the current cost of compliance, which presently, rips around 7%, from the averaged bottom line, which would improve by a combined 37%, (averaged).
Moreover, the associated repeal of all other tax measures, inclusive of the GST and fuel excise, would add around 25% to the averaged household budget, making a non contributory, 15+ super immediately available.
[Should it be the elder citizen who survives, or the ATO?]
Moreover, a single stand alone tax system can be microscopically adjusted to alone control inflation or stagnation, region by region, if necessary; meaning, interest rates can be lowered, until the AUD reaches it real value!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 6 March 2013 10:10:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have avoided non-compulsory superannuation as far as I possibly could; fortunately as a freelancer this has been fairly easy to do. Why? Because I can't imagine any government of any nation having enough long-term integrity to keep their grubby hands off those ever-accumulating funds. And nothing I've seen or read lately has led me to think otherwise.
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 6 March 2013 12:07:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is super very super?
For public servants it's super fantastic. The rest of will use it up just so we can retire with a roof over our heads.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 6 March 2013 7:03:26 PM
Public Service Defined Benefit super was closed to new entrants in 2004. That's nine years ago.

Public subsidy of superannuation is justified only where the subsidy is less than the cost of the Old Age Pension that would otherwise be due. There is therefore NO repeat NO justification for any tax subsidy of any superannuation for those who would never be eligible for the Old Age Pension.
Posted by R. Ambrose Raven, Saturday, 9 March 2013 8:28:22 PM
I absolutely agree with Jon J's comments above. In my view, Superannuation is the greatest national con of all times. It is like a big melting pot of funds with a queue of salivating politicians champing at the bit to get their hands on it! With the abysmal performance by most funds (especially First State Super) over recent years, you would have had more chance of doubling your dollar with a bet on Melbourne Cup! Whilst I agree with the general idea of superannuation, it is difficult to believe that governments on both sides can resist changing rules and getting their hands on part of the profits generated by the growing cash cow of superannuation. I believe the first $10,000 pa personal contributions to super should receive a 100% TAX REBATE. The government should stop beating around the bush and provide REAL incentives to people to start investing at least one-quarter of their net salaries into super (if possible).Unfortunately, things are going to get tougher as the biggest generation of all time, ie the Baby Boomers are now retiring with a small minority of poor X-Y Gen left in the work force to keep funding the pay-outs. Unless, of course, current governments force Baby Boomers to continue working well into their 90's, hanging on to their cathetas and walking frames (nothing would surprise me). (continued)
Posted by Katie08, Sunday, 10 March 2013 3:32:38 PM
(continued)
I estimate that within three to five years, the option for Baby Boomers to cash out their superannuation will no longer be available. This may be a good and a bad thing: Good, if the cash pay out is to someone who knows how to self-manage their funds in other high paying options, eg paying off an expensive mortgage, investing in real estate etc; Bad, if the cash pay out is to someone who blows the lot on an overseas holiday! Good or bad, the enforced pensioning of Superannuation payments will take away someone's RIGHT to choose the system of pay out of the funds they have worked so hard for over so many years. One thing for sure is that with every change of government, the rules on superannuation will change. Its a mine field of ambiguity which intimidates many people. Governments MUST agree to keep this incredibly important facet of the general public's personal wealth and future intact, stable and PREDICTABLE. There should be systems set up in regard to the complete abolition of tax on personal contributions (up to a certain point), the lowering of exorbitant fees and the provision of very attractive incentives to entice and keep people investing in superannuation.
Posted by Katie08, Sunday, 10 March 2013 3:33:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy