The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine: great expectations founded on fiction > Comments

Palestine: great expectations founded on fiction : Comments

By David Singer, published 23/10/2012

Why the need for a Palestinian state now?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
When I was a kid, back in the days before cd’s, itunes, and MP3’s, we used to have an old turntable on which we played records.

My mother’s taste in music aside – Tom Jones and Roberta Flack were hardly considered worthy by pre-teens – and probably because of a propensity to man-handle the vinyl while simultaneously sucking on chuppa-chups and stuffing over-blown hubba-bubba back into our mouths, the stylus would often get stuck. Of course, it always happened at the most discordant moment in a song, accompanied by lots of crackling and my mother yelling at us to get away from the record player while she lifted the stylus up and over the offending blob of congealed sugar so the song could resume, albeit with a few chords missing.

Regrettably, it’s time to lift that stylus, David. While I appreciate your nostalgic efforts to enable me to relive the lazy, hazy days of my youth, it’s time to skip the repetitious rhetoric so we can all finish listening to the song.

“Mum!! David’s got the record stuck again!”
Posted by scribbler, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 7:46:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TOaxAckFCuQ#!
Posted by MEH, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 9:31:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Enough already of the endless equivocation and broken record rhetoric! The Palestinians need to have their own state and recorded legal boundaries!
If only to stop the endlessly equivocating prevaricating Jewish state, stolen from the legitimate, SONS OF ABRAHAM owners, over half a century ago; as the so-called spoils of war; from "acquiring" any more Palestinian land, for illegal settlements!
It's time for D Singer, to sing another song.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 10:05:55 AM
There is no need for a Palestinian state. There is no need for Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist states either. There is a need for democratic states which have separation of religion and state and do not discriminate among their citizens on the basis of religion or ethnicity. If Australia were to become a Christian state I would become a second class citizen as I am a Jew. Therefore I cannot support a Jewish state where non-Jews are second class citizens. Have separation of religion and state in Australia by getting rid of chaplains in the schools and tax payer financing of religious schools, and make the area between the Jordan and the Mediterranean a state for all its citizens. Democracy requires separation of religion and state.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 10:27:29 AM
MEH – thanks for the link. Long, but worthwhile, and infinitely more interesting than anything Mr Singer writes. Off to buy the book. Peled’s, that is.

Rhosty – And just where would you place those boundaries? All good intentions aside, a two-state solution will not work. Ever.

David f – you are right. A single, democratic state with equal representation and equal rights for all is the only answer.
Posted by scribbler, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 11:44:39 AM
This spokesman for racist Israel calls for facts, not fiction, after grandly allocating the Palestinian people between bits of Palestine not yet fully grabbed - 55% here, 41% there. Facts, not fiction, include the 4-5 million outside Palestine in enforced exile. Instead of the surrender (a.k.a. "peace") process, how about a justice process - exiles to return to their homeland, settlers to return to theirs?
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 12:28:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy