The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why non-government schools provide the best model - part 2 > Comments

Why non-government schools provide the best model - part 2 : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 16/10/2012

Private schools outperform state schools allowing for differences in wealth and social status.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I got a fantastic education at a government school, in a moderate sized country town.

At any lunch time or after school there would be teachers running training for the school senior & junior football teams, cricket, tennis, athletics, or the girls hockey teams. Throw in the school cadet core, & after school time was pretty busy.

There was no boys hockey, not enough kids for football & hockey teams.

It was the same times that the math 1 & 2, physics, English & history honours courses were being taught, there was no time or teachers available in regular class time for that. Then add the fact that the physics master was the cricket coach, [& the deputy head], & the English/history master was the cadet officer, & scheduling all this would not have been easy.

It is just as well you could only do 3 honours, as with only 40 kids, about half girls, in the entire senior school it was the same kids doing all of this.

I find it strange now, that I had mates from out of town villages staying with us most nights to fit all this in. These villages were only from 10 to 20 miles out of town, but parents never thought about driving in to pick kids up after this stuff.

That 8 of us achieved 15 first class honours 5 second class says a bit for us, & heaps for our teachers.

The main thing wrong with Government schools today is the standard of the teachers, & the lack of effort most of them display. It would have saved me a fortune in coaching costs if a few more of my kids teachers had put in a bit more effort, or in many cases, actually known the subject they taught.

Add the fact that as the people running the P&C school text book scheme, we had enough pull to have our kids avoid the worst of them, & you can see a pretty bad system today. What chance do the kids of parents who don't know any of this really have?
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 19 October 2012 12:46:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy