The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lessons from history for Alan Jones and 2GB > Comments

Lessons from history for Alan Jones and 2GB : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 10/10/2012

There is nothing bullying about boycotts - they are a legitimate political tool.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All
Good morning all.

The plot thickens …

Destroy the Joint now has 20,000+ supporters, including former Prime Ministers. Advertisers abandoning Alan Jones are growing steadily.

Jones' hypocritical defensiveness continues to be exposed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSXPHm2dtO8

@Mollydukes and Poirot: Agree. Well put.

@SPQR: Almost but not quite. I’ve never said we shouldn’t “source” or read Murdoch articles. Just that we shouldn’t pay for them, and shouldn’t believe them without external confirmation of veracity. There is a subtle difference, SPQR.

Exceptions are sports results and articles by George Megalogenis.

Actually there are sound reasons to read Murdoch publications sometimes. Last November Piers Akerman wrote in The Daily Telegraph, the Government “cannot point to a single major policy success".

Knowing Akerman almost always writes the opposite of the truth, I checked. Sure enough, that was the day after Australia gained its triple A credit rating for the first time ever. And the week The New York Times reported “Australia’s economy has been booming” and “during the global financial crisis, Australia, unlike many Western economies, registered modest growth, a trend that has since accelerated.”

So that was handy.

@Cohenite: you are doing it again. I’m arguing for decency, honesty, truthfulness, transparency and integrity – and you accuse me of defending the values of the Labor Party.

Hmmm.

@R0bert and Shadow Minister: The question remains: What is the justification for John Howard, before the 1998 election, to put the GST back on the Coalition’s platform, when he had specifically promised that "there's no way that a GST will ever be part of our policy ... Never ever, it's dead.”?

We know Ms Gillard had a cliffhanger election, a hung Parliament, a bunch of ornery Independents and the unyielding Greens forcing her to change her carbon price position in 2010.

What forced John Howard to abandon his promise before the 1998 election?

The point of this unanswerable question, of course, is that all leaders break commitments, some with more justification than others. But these are not lies.

The problem Australia has with liars is analysed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5ljcri6Nk

Cheers, AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Sunday, 21 October 2012 8:56:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Alan Austin,

<< I’ve never said we shouldn’t “source” or read Murdoch articles. Just that we shouldn’t pay for them, and shouldn’t believe them without external confirmation of veracity. There is a subtle difference,>>

Alan, you said [QUOTE] : << Never believe anything you read in any Murdoch publication…>>
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=13993#241885

<<NEVER BELIEVE>> (without qualification)

Now because you think you’ve found something in a Murdoch publication that supports one of your pet theories you’re asking SM to BELIEVE it.

Tell us again, why was it they banished you to Transalpine Gaul?
It wasn’t on account of being a slippery character was it?
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 22 October 2012 5:41:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Cohenite: you are doing it again. I’m arguing for decency, honesty, truthfulness, transparency and integrity – and you accuse me of defending the values of the Labor Party."

Yes Alan; one of these 2 alligned, in your mind, factors is wrong. Let's look:

"Labor party".

"I’m arguing for decency, honesty, truthfulness, transparency and integrity".

Which one is wrong?

I don't think there is any honesty or transparency or integrity in Destroy the Joint or its activities.

I also think your litany of complaints about Jones are, with one exception, either trivial, or based on a disagreement by you of a legitimate stance taken by Jones, as for example your complaint and one upheld by ACMA that Jones villified the Lebanese community; the Lebanese community did play an active part in the disgraceful retaliatory activity in that event. I think Jones' comments about that involvement were justified.

The one exception is Jones and cash for comment; he deserved to be hauled over the coals for that one.

But as I say, all your other examples deal with issues which are trivial or because Jones has a view point which you and others of the left disagree with.

Nothing the Labor party has done since it came to power has had anything to do with "decency, honesty, truthfulness, transparency and integrity", so when I allign you with the Labor party it means I think your article has little to do with "decency, honesty, truthfulness, transparency and integrity" either.

It's a political statement; are you an ALP or Greens supporter?
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 22 October 2012 7:48:31 AM
Morning all,

Well, some advertisers who told Destroy the Joint they had left Alan Jones are sneaking back. Some claim ads were run against their express wishes. But who really knows?

Looks like the Destroyers will ramp up their campaign.

@SPQR: Thanks for the clarification.

I like this quote (source unknown):

“Never believe anything you read in a Murdoch publication. Should you read something you know to be true, you must begin to doubt it at once.”

Actually, SPQR, my earlier quip to which you refer was not exactly “<<NEVER BELIEVE>> (without qualification)”, was it?

Here’s the paragraph:

“A couple of tips, SPQR: One of your sources was The Australian. Never believe anything you read in any Murdoch publication, except sports results and arts reviews. Almost certainly untrue or seriously distorted.”

So, in context, there was some qualification. But I think you understand me.

@Cohenite: Re “I don't think there is any honesty or transparency or integrity in Destroy the Joint or its activities.”

You will find their ethical position here, Anthony:

http://www.facebook.com/DestroyTheJoint/info

There’s a link to their commenting guidelines, which are rigidly enforced.

This is their new website: http://www.destroythejoint.org/

Re: the “litany of complaints about Jones”, have you accessed the links, Anthony? These provide fairly compelling prima facie evidence for the complaints. No?

Try listening to this in its entirety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSYkrReu2U&feature=endscreen&NR=1

This shows how Jones views charity work, his colleagues and audience. And, towards the end, what he really thinks about his advertisers.

Plenty more evidence of workplace bullying and misogyny. Some posted earlier here.

Re: “ALP or Greens supporter?” I’m not a member of any party and don’t vote in Australia any more.

Some Greens policies are sound. That's true of all parties.

Labor is succeeding in economic management, social justice, foreign affairs, the environment, ministerial integrity and extensive reform despite being in a minority. It is also commended worldwide for its stance on sexism. But I think it has failed Indigenous people and asylum seekers, as argued elsewhere.

Your earlier alignment of Labor with "decency, honesty, truthfulness, transparency and integrity", Anthony, seems pretty right.

Cheers, AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 22 October 2012 6:51:28 PM
You are hopeless Alan; I listened to that stupid YouTube of selected quotes from Jones; I nearly fell off my chair laughing when he blamed the loss to the All Blacks on the Indiana Jones movie frightening his team.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 22 October 2012 7:13:30 PM
You will find their ethical position here, Anthony:

Yet they are strangely silent on the Credlin jokes. In fact he media is deathly silent on the exact joke. Must have been bad.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 22 October 2012 7:33:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy