The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An Australian hero whose skin was the wrong colour > Comments

An Australian hero whose skin was the wrong colour : Comments

By John Pilger, published 4/10/2012

Arthur and the cotton-chippers made history. They went on strike, and more than 500 of them marched through Wee Waa.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
...This article attempts to demonise farmers as racist. I don’t believe, on the whole they were. I personally worked in this area at that time, and $1.12PH was a pretty normal wage for all, black white and brindle. Aboriginals have always chosen to camp on the outskirts of country towns in Australia: This is a choice of tradition they make.

...Accommodation was available on most farms and came with the expectation of good behavior. I have witnessed many evictions of white workers for transgressions of that code; it’s wrong to suggest as this article does, that Aboriginals were excluded and persecuted on the grounds of race; it was never my experience to witness overt or covert racism. Seasonal work on western farms is extremely busy, enormously uncomfortable and hard, and there is little time for consideration of sensitivities.

...The other issue the article raised was to attempt to align racism with policing. My comment on this one is; it’s a tough life on the “western front” for any transgressor of the law, black white or brindle!

...I think the Aboriginal cause is better served with less emotive commentary.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 4 October 2012 10:32:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poor old John Pilger will write just about anything that he peceives will get him some acclaim and thus, eulogised ? The only distinguishing feature you do enjoy, is that you're John Pilger ? I can't possibly think there'd be anything else ?

And now he's attempting to give the rural establishment a beating about the head, for allegedly being raciest. How long did you have working in the bush John ? Most, have far more to do with their time than engaging in petty raciest activities.

Give it a rest ol' mate, eh ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 4 October 2012 4:18:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Give me John Pilger to off-side in my job for a month & see if he still thinks that way.
Posted by individual, Friday, 5 October 2012 7:29:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In 1969, as I recall, I was working in a bakery for $ 1- $1.10 p.h. With overtime, and on night-shift finishing at 4.30, I once cracked $84 in a week, an average of about $ 1.40 p.h.

I moved to NZ that year and was on 75 cents p.h.

It pays to do your homework, John :) But if you are pitching to an ignorant, overseas audience, you'll do okay.
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 6 October 2012 4:40:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy