The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Asymmetrical gender wars in the US election > Comments

Asymmetrical gender wars in the US election : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 24/9/2012

There's no such thing as 'legitimate rape', but there is such a thing as illegitimate condemnation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
What tha....may be something was lost in the edit, but I think you missed the "afraid not" and "are to" and may be a "you are".
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 24 September 2012 1:20:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So your point is -- what? That women sometimes make false accusations of rape? Agreed, but what has that got to do with their right to decide whether they want to lug a growing foetus around inside of them for nine months and then suffer agonies expelling it, or have it surgically removed while it's too undeveloped to suffer pain? It doesn't matter how it GOT there, surely, if you don't want it there.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 24 September 2012 2:16:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not quite sure what the point of this opinion piece is, but I don't know that someone who is a vocal 'anti-feminist' is a person who I would got to for advice about rape, abortion, or politics. The war on women by the right-wing conservative Republicans of the USA is a lot more than ignorance by Akin and flaming by the majority of the media.

Oh, and most feminists were horrified by Whoopi Goldberg's comments about the Polanski rape case. Rape is rape. It is that simple.
Posted by Carz, Monday, 24 September 2012 2:34:16 PM
"The war on women by the right-wing conservative Republicans of the USA is a lot more than ignorance by Akin and flaming by the majority of the media."

What a beat-up!
Posted by Raycom, Monday, 24 September 2012 3:16:08 PM
Raycom when did you stop beating your wife?
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 24 September 2012 4:59:45 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this article and the debate around the topic.

Firstly I am pro-choice, I don't like the idea of abortion but don't think that the evidence is there to make a case that the early stage fetus has an intrinsic value which outweighs other concerns. If the Christain God has a different view then he or she is quite welcome to demonstrate that concern by an end to all forms of natural early termination of pregnancies.

I do think that the rape argument is a side issue used to wedge the opponents of abortion.

The history of Joseph was written by people who regarded him as a hero, I doubt that the account is entirely unbiased. It may be true, it may be a lie and there is no way of telling at this distance. Perhaps not the best example of a false claim of rape except for a Christian audience.

I am a lot tired of how quickly the idea of choice disappears from the views of the most determined pro-choice advocates when it comes to choice for men. I've seen pro-choice feminists on this site claim that men's choice ended when they were part of the sex act, if they did not want the responsibility of a child they should have kept it in their pants. About as committed to choice as a lot of gay activists when the topic is pluralistic marriage.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 24 September 2012 8:21:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy