The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reason has its place, but the human heart yearns for awe > Comments

Reason has its place, but the human heart yearns for awe : Comments

By Brian Rosner, published 18/9/2012

According to Pascal, Christian faith answers our deepest yearnings in the midst of the messiness of life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 27
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. All
@mralstoner: "Hume is correct: our emotions do drive us and reason is their "slave" as he says. Atheists would do well to learn this."

Since Hume was an early atheist and is still venerated by the atheist movement, it's redundant to suggest that we should 'learn' one of his discoveries.

In any case, isn't it the theists who spend their time twisting the real world out of shape to manufacture some 'objective' basis for their desires? All the atheists I know just get on with deciding what they think is best and then doing it.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 1:29:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John J writes

'A world in which four-year-olds no longer carry banners demanding that people be beheaded seems to me a goal worth fighting for, '

Many from the secularist parents would be murdered before they get to 4 years old. Something conveniently forgotton or explained away by pseudo science. No true rational. Thankfully Christ taught us to value life.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 1:29:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But those that DO get to be four years old, Runner -- would you encourage them to carry banners calling for the execution of those who oppose their religion? Let's get your response on record.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 1:38:43 PM
I'm sorry Brian, but if God is everything he's cracked up to be in the brochures then Christian faith leads inescapably to religious determinism… So any yearnings about the messiness of life are a waste of time.

Your claim that "What seems to be missing from the atheist accounts of the human condition is an acknowledgement of our vulnerability and frailty, along with our sense of wonder and awe." doesn't accord with the accounts of any atheists – or indeed of any atheists of account – in my experience.

That experience being an honest acknowledgement of our vulnerability and frailty, along with our sense of wonder and awe.

For a mind funking perspective of the scale of individual ego, 'Star Size Comparison' is 2:30 minutes well spent…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEheh1BH34Q
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 1:45:47 PM
>>For a mind funking perspective of the scale of individual ego, 'Star Size Comparison' is 2:30 minutes well spent…<<

Well I'm convinced. You can have my liver.

But I still think Douglas Adams put it best:

>>Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.<<

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 2:17:21 PM
Diver Dan come out from the closet it will do you good and you'll find peace.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 18 September 2012 2:23:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 27
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. All