The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia should stick to its principles > Comments

Australia should stick to its principles : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 30/8/2012

Where is the justification for the Government to dispatch two senior officials to Iran to attend a summit of the Non-Aligned Movement this week.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
"I don’t bother to engage much with her specific arguments, because I don’t respect them enough. However, many others like David G, Arjay, James O’Neill, Geoff of Perth and Rhrosty are prepared to do so, and in an informed manner."

Excellent joke, very tongue in cheek, what with the variations of "lickspittle" that can be directed to the US and anyone who remotely supports the US that have been used by the memebers of the above list of considered commentators.

Anyway, none of them know what they are talking about, at least in respect of Iran and nuclear:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/tehran-ramping-up-nuclear-efforts-un-says/story-fnb64oi6-1226461947859

I agree with the general view that nuclear weapons are a blight but if push comes to shove, then in a choice between an Iran which wants to create planet Islam, and the US I know which nation I want to have the things and which nation I do not want to have them, under any circumstances.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 31 August 2012 10:29:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well yes, cohenite,

It's not as if the US is a warmonger or anything.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 31 August 2012 10:33:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I want to know, and which so far as remained unreported, is whether the Australian delegates to NAM carried out their promise to walk out if there was any anti-Israeli rhetoric - which there was.

http://www.ejpress.org/article/news/61294

and

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=283276

If not, why not?
Posted by scribbler, Friday, 31 August 2012 1:02:45 PM
If they can waste money on salary and expenses on a politician clearly not worth feeding, why on earth not diplomats in Iran, an international flashpoint.
What does Bishop think will really be going on there?
Posted by paul walter, Friday, 31 August 2012 1:19:45 PM
Hi Killarney. I noted your comment "Compared to the grotesque levels of misogynist abuse thrown at the much better informed feminist-oriented writers on the OLO gender threads, I believe the critics of Ms Bishop here are paragons of restraint"

Care to give me some examples? I'd also be interested to know why you didn't complain about them before so I could at least make a decision as to whether they should be moderated or not. If they are truly "grotesque" and "abuse" then there is no doubt they ought to be moderated.
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 31 August 2012 2:45:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham
Julie Bishop has form for not writing her own stuff. And she has staff who are expected to do that sort of leg work for her - as do other politicians. I'm not saying she doesn't agree with what is published in her name, but neither of us knows exactly who writes it. Most of what is published by politicians should probably be described as 'from the office of....'.
Posted by Candide, Saturday, 1 September 2012 8:28:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy