The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia should stick to its principles > Comments

Australia should stick to its principles : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 30/8/2012

Where is the justification for the Government to dispatch two senior officials to Iran to attend a summit of the Non-Aligned Movement this week.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Any chance of whoever writes JB's stuff being introduced to the notion of a paragraph? Both her recent 'articles' read like a power point presentation without the visuals.
Posted by Candide, Thursday, 30 August 2012 5:21:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What Killarney said.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 August 2012 6:05:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
She writes her own stuff Candide, and I'm getting a bit tired of the abuse of Julie every time we put something up by her on the site. I'd be happy if we got more high level contributions from politicians on both sides. I don't think they engage enough. But looking at the standard of debate on this thread, perhaps there is a reason they avoid internet only publications.
Posted by GrahamY, Thursday, 30 August 2012 9:04:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"While the regime claims it is not pursuing nuclear weapons technology, it refuses to allow unfettered access to inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency."

In response to this myopic view of middle eastern events, I would like to remind readers and responders that Julie and obviously GrahamY appear unaware that Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty, Israel, who, in my opinion, appears to be the main aggressor in this insane tit-for-tat ratchet up of brinkmanship is not! Lets see if they are willing to let the inspectors in? Not in my lifetime me thinks.

Australia has no business putting sanctions on Iran, we need to stop and take a long hard look at what can be done to address the myriad of issues affecting the region. US hegemony and its unsurpassed support for Israel, regardless of their inhumane and continued oppression of the Palestinian people, needs to be addressed. The US is one of the primary reasons the entire Middle East is in Chaos, let’s not forget Iraq, an invasion, completely in conflict with UN resolutions and demonstrated as a violation of the UN charter and all it stands for, perhaps Howard can explain our involvement. Let’s not forget Afghanistan, another five brave Australians lost today, and to what end, US hegemony if I read it right.

This tragedy is only going to continue if we keep doing the same old and tired tried and true capitalistic ventures, vis continue down a failed path and for what true outcome.

Julie and her party are just parasites that will continue to roll out the tried and tested mantra, despite the human misery in our midst.

Let’s not even mention Syria, just another stepping stone to Middle Eastern conquest.

Truly shameful by both side of politics in this so called 'luck country'.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 30 August 2012 10:14:51 PM
Unfortunately Geoff of Perth,both the major parties fall over themselves grovelling when the USA or Britian beckons.The BRIC nations are now working towards their own currency and banking system because of the West's attempt to steal via derivative scams and "Quantitative easing" which is another word for counterfeiting.QE3 is on it's way.

At the recent NAM conference in Tehran 30 countries which represented nearly half the world's pop were resolved not to let an attack happen on Syria.The West is the clear aggressor and our leaders are no better than Hitler or Starlin if they endorse these imperialist wars.

China has the right to secure energy and resources from Africa or where ever it likes.Perhaps they won't rape these countries like the West has done for centuries.Our future is in Asia.We have 800,000 Chinese who live here and many have married Europeans.

Both Malcolm Fraser and Paul Keating recently warned about the policy of trying to contain China by cutting off energy and resources.This is the same policy which forced Japan into WW2.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 31 August 2012 12:54:56 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham

‘I'm getting a bit tired of the abuse of Julie every time we put something up by her on the site’

I don’t think you are being fair. What you perceive as abuse, others would see as expressions of exasperation, indeed alarm, at her ignorance of the push-pull factors of Western foreign policy, especially in its use of sanctions and military interventions.

I don’t bother to engage much with her specific arguments, because I don’t respect them enough. However, many others like David G, Arjay, James O’Neill, Geoff of Perth and Rhrosty are prepared to do so, and in an informed manner.

Compared to the grotesque levels of misogynist abuse thrown at the much better informed feminist-oriented writers on the OLO gender threads, I believe the critics of Ms Bishop here are paragons of restraint
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 31 August 2012 7:54:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy