The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gallimaufry, scrumping and other glories of the English language > Comments

Gallimaufry, scrumping and other glories of the English language : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 9/7/2012

English scrumps from over the fences of other languages and is itself a glorious gallimaufry.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
@ Poirot,

<< well in that case… perhaps I can claim a consolation award for the promotion of obscure English>>

If you had any real desire to promote English you would have called yourself Sherlock rather that Poirot, although, considering your antics on olo, Moriarty might have been an even better fit.
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 9 July 2012 1:56:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You're right about Doctor Who, crabsy and the word is not even a heteronym… but I thought it amusing at the time – a bit like searching for the definition of rantallian. Though I should warn you, since you apparently like to do a little googling, if you're inclined to, do this in safe mode or at least with images switched off.

But credit where it's due – it was Prof Kate Burridge, who holds the Chair of Linguistics at Monash University, who introduced me to firkytoodling.

Fond memories…
Posted by WmTrevor, Monday, 9 July 2012 2:24:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, SPQR, I really am Poirot.

Of course I could have chosen from a gallimaufry of pseudonyms and perhaps, in hindsight, it would have shielded moi from any number of "moustache" jokes.....firked if I know : )
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 9 July 2012 4:06:47 PM
aaah poor Earthians. Why don't you communicate in Earthian?
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 July 2012 5:02:08 PM
Just thought I'd mention where I first struck the word "gallimaufry".

On page 39 of "The Poisonwood Bible", Barbara Kingsolver has her character, Adah Price, use it to describe herself in comparison to her twin: "But I am a lame gallimaufry and she remains perfect."

I was so struck by the word which, as far as memory served, I had never encountered before, that I mentioned it to a friend who is interested in unusual words.

(and why do I keep wanting to spell it "gallimauphry"?)
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 10:17:06 AM
Unlike Dr Scutt, I am not optimistic about maintaining the beauty of the English language with its richness and diversity. It is true that currently English has the largest vocabulary with its wonderful adjectives and the subtly of its modals, however, only those with access to higher education or extensive reading of what is commonly known as 'good' literature can aspire to such a vocabulary. This is sadly becoming less common. With universities being more vocationally focussed and the study Humaninites now perceived as indulgent, after all, what else can one do but teach (as if teaching should be a last resort), faculties now only require a knowledge of the subject being taught not the ability to illuminate it with better than average language.
Texting is an anathema, it is an easy, if not narcissistic means of interaction and allows immediate self gratification a bit like w...... It won't go away but the use of well contructed, no I mean beautifully constructed prose will. I lament the lack of a good liberal education functioning concurrently with vocational studies, as unfortunately, the glory of English is in its diversity and the loss of its historical beauty to the simplification for easy communication is dire.
kerryh
Posted by kerryh, Friday, 13 July 2012 4:55:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy