The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Organic food – it's a religion > Comments

Organic food – it's a religion : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 6/7/2012

Support for organic food is based on a belief system in which facts are not particularly relevant but allows the self-satisfaction of looking down on those who do not share your beliefs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Maybe there is indeed a religious element to this but no so much for the belief in organic foods.

The true zeal is toward the promotion of non-organic foods, particularly GM technology and all it's so-called benefits.

On one hand the reasoning is increased production but the real motivation is simply for increased profits plus the ultimate control of all food and distribution by a few, like Monsanto in particular.

For an interesting view of the nature of agribusiness, I recommend watching the documentary "Food, Inc".
Posted by wobbles, Sunday, 8 July 2012 12:17:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<Organic cultivation draws on wisdom and bygone knowledge. Perhaps, at least, those who are learning, practicing and perpetuating this art will serve as a repository for future generations (who will probably need it)....while enhancing their own lives with meaningful concepts and purposeful toil.>
An excellent point Poirot, I can't argue with that.
There are also of course other possibilities, such as that we might be able one day to grow meat in the lab and otherwise synthesise food a la Star Trek.
Some trivia; organic carrots in Coles today were $3.99 kg, while the intensively farmed ones were on special for $1.00 kg. Even when they're not on special they're not much more than that. I think the reality is we can learn from organic 'and' modern farming techniques.
I buy free range eggs btw.
Posted by Squeers, Sunday, 8 July 2012 6:29:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have a little experiment that I have shown can change people's minds on the value of growing vege's at home.

Get some reputable, heirloom beetroot seedlings, grow them, once of sufficient size, go to any of the major supermarket chains and buy some of their so-called fresh beetroot.

Clean both and then bake in an oven.

I can guarantee 100% the home grown version will not only have good texture, taste and smell just fabulous, but you will eat no more than just part of one, purchased from the supermarket.

A very simple exercise and one that continues to prove to me the value of growing one's own.

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Monday, 9 July 2012 10:55:13 AM
David,
You sound like an agricultural salesman. It is immaterial which system of cultivation is better. We currently (world wide), produce more food than can be eaten. Up to an estimated two thirds is wasted because of distribution systems that date back to the ancient Greeks. Market forces are what matters. If people wish to eat organic produce then why not. If a placebo works then it works, end of story. The results are what really matter.
Our science(s) especially around genetics is far from complete. Our understanding of it (we have found), is rudimentary. The science is new and long term effects can not be established, as there is little in the way of history to look back on. Look at Thalidomide (it is part of OUR history), the thousands of PEOPLE born with gross deformities.
Please, please let us not recreate that disaster because we wish to chase greater and greater profits - at the expense of our children.
Posted by JustGiveMeALLTheFacts, Monday, 9 July 2012 11:03:25 AM
"...It is immaterial which system of cultivation is better...."

It might be immaterial to a Westerner who doesn't have to deal with the realities of degraded land and depleted groundwater supplies.

I've posted this link numerous times on OLO, but Vandana Shiva puts it way better than I ever could.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/reith_2000/lecture5.stm

and

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/india_water.html
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 9 July 2012 11:21:35 AM
The reasons to choose organic foods are not trivial. For instance, organic standards require growers and processors to avoid synthetic chemicals. In contrast, the standards that our chemical and food regulators set for conventional foods allow them to contain substantial amounts of chemical residues. Few of these toxic substances were ever tested for their cumulative or long-term impacts on human health before approval.

Take a typical carrot, for example. Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs) are set for the seventeen synthetic weed, insect and fungus killers that are allowed in carrot production. In the worst-case scenario, your carrot will still comply with the law when 87.24 mg/kg (8.724%) of toxics remain. Similar toxic brews may be on other vegetables in your salad too!

So, there's a lot to be said for the health and well-being benefits of organic foods. Savings on the cost of chronic disease to the health care system is just one. Organic food is not the middle class cop-out that some people claim but a sensible health protection measure that should be available to everyone.
Posted by Bob Phelps, Monday, 9 July 2012 6:36:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy