The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sydney's railways: a great legacy betrayed by myopia > Comments

Sydney's railways: a great legacy betrayed by myopia : Comments

By Robert Gibbons, published 29/6/2012

Sydney is growing but its railway network isn't, leading to increased congestion and lost opportunities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Robert Gibbons's article regarding Sydney's railways was the first sensible comment on the system I'e ever read. Every time a government brings out a new scheme I think how they miss the point entirely. It is true that the CBD should be less of a focus for future rail expansion. The north-south divide has always been the problem with the system. I grew up in Merrylands, near Parramatta and for some time, needed to travel to the north shore. I could only do it through the CBD. This is the reason for the congestion. A direct line from the west to the northern suburbs was sorely needed and is now crucial. The same goes for Sydney's southern areas around Hurstville. They do not need more capacity to the north via the city but via a more western link at Strathfield and over the existing second "harbour crossing" at Concorde/Rhodes. How do we get governments to see sense?
Posted by jhnhllns, Sunday, 1 July 2012 8:49:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy