The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Civil unions: Campbell Newman’s conundrum > Comments

Civil unions: Campbell Newman’s conundrum : Comments

By Bernard Gaynor, published 25/5/2012

Will Campbell Newman stand by his conscience and be defeated by his party room on civil unions?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I suspect one of the reasons the KAP has (probably) reached its zenith is its inability to understand its opposition. I went searching but couldn't find it again, but I'm sure I read an article this week revealing that the KAP was polling at about 7% - half the 14% cited here. On a downward spiral already? I'd suggest Bob and his friends look to the One Nation Party for some tips on what not to do if they want to continue existing.

As for Newman's "conundrum", I doubt it will rear its head in parliament any time soon. If it does, it might be good strategy for Newman to stand on his principles, be defeated in the party room and show that he is human after all. His style is one of "rewriting the book" on politics. What was bad before may not be so bad now. And, given that there are many whispers that he's the reincarnation of Sir Joh, it might be good to show that he's not a dictator after all.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 26 May 2012 12:18:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Newman and Gillard have similar problems. They are both adept in wedging themselves into impossible corners.

The gay marriage issue is vexed and has lots of people who are for and against it. Many people do not think clearly about what such a change means to the social structure that we rely upon for human cohesion. They are carried along by sentiment and such nonsense as, 'It's all about love!'

It's not just about 'lurve' as some would have us believe. It is about changing the structure of our whole society to suit a tiny minority. It's about creating mass confusion. It's about throwing out the rule book and creating a situation where anything goes! This can only result in a situation where no one knows what is right any more.

It's about ignoring all the laws of psychology that show that children, to develop properly, need to have a male and a female role model to copy, to emulate. Nature and nurture it's called.

I would urge everyone, including gays, to think deeply about this issue, about the downside of gay marriage, its implications for the broader community, the affect on children who can't understand what is going on.

How could children make sense of a situation where Mummy has gone and suddenly their father is sleeping with another man in the place where Mummy used to be and he is kissing this other man the way he used to kiss their Mummy?

It is time that emotion was put aside and the gay marriage issue was examined closely and scientifically from the point of view of vulnerable children who need protection and stability rather than becoming pawns in adult games.

http://dangerouscreation.com
Posted by David G, Saturday, 26 May 2012 10:44:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@David G" "It is time that emotion was put aside and the gay marriage issue was examined closely and scientifically from the point of view of vulnerable children who need protection and stability rather than becoming pawns in adult games."

Can you please give us details of just how much time and energy you have spent campaigning against the all-too-frequent abuse of children of heterosexual couples, and against the laws which make it easy for heterosexual couples to divorce?

If -- as I suspect -- the answer is 'none whatsoever', then we are entitled to ask: Why are you fulminating now about the possible risk to children from gay marriage, when you've never expressed the slightest concern about children known to be at risk in heterosexual families?
Posted by Jon J, Saturday, 26 May 2012 1:27:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>Why are you fulminating now about the possible risk to children from gay marriage, when you've never expressed the slightest concern about children known to be at risk in heterosexual families?<<

The same reason all the anti-gay marriage crowd use the "Oh please won't somebody think of the children" argument even though the debate is about gay marriage not gay parenting which is already legal and happening as we speak: because being honest would not be a good look for them. If they were to admit the truth - that they are against gay marriage because they just plain don't like gay people - they would be pilloried. So they have to make do with irrelevant arguments that won't convince anyone capable of critical thinking.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Saturday, 26 May 2012 2:37:08 PM
Jon and Tony, what a wonderful example of creating a strawman argument.

You both contrive to paint me as a person who doesn't argue for the welfare of the children from heterosexual relationships despite the fact that you know absolutely nothing about me.

This is why serious discussion with gays never eventuates. All they can see are their own selfish demands which, in the case of children, usually takes little account of them!

Children become pawns as, all too often, they do in heterosexual relationships.
Posted by David G, Saturday, 26 May 2012 4:39:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David, all you have to do is provide some evidence of your long-standing and ongoing concern for children, no matter what type of family they come from. Then we will know your protests are sincere and not just driven by homophobia.

But as I pointed out elsewhere, it's amusing to see the Catholic Church suddenly discovering 'the children' as a bargaining point against gay marriage, when they've been happily facilitating the abuse of children for centuries.

Surely YOU wouldn't be guilty of such breathtaking hypocrisy.
Posted by Jon J, Sunday, 27 May 2012 8:05:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy