The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is a woman leader possible? > Comments

Is a woman leader possible? : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 11/5/2012

Eleanor Roosevelt, Hilary Clinton and Australia's prime minister.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
A poor article.
Has the author never heard of Margaret Thatcher and Golda Meir? Either the author has not heard of them in which case we have a startling degree of ignorance; or the author has heard of them but does not approve of their politics so pretends they did not exist. Hence the article is either intellectually weak or crooked.
Posted by eyejaw, Saturday, 12 May 2012 4:55:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A leader appointed by a majority of men, a Cabinet comprising seventeen men and five women, legislatures overwhelmingly populated by men, no dedicated women’s legislature, not even a women’s caucus as with a majority of modern legislatures, universal women’s suffrage which can simply be withdrawn by a majority of the parliament rescinding the relevant legislation, no recognition women bring a different approach to governance than men, all this from a Constitution which allegedly supports equal rights, evidence which clearly refutes your opinion Pericles, as I have explained, as you very well know, many times on this forum. If men suffered the sexism women do under the Constitution you’d no doubt be the the first bloke on a soapbox railing about discrimination.

The bit that says no begins with the refusal of men to allow women to speak to or vote on the Constitution at its enactment and proceeds all the way to the blatantly sexist and inexcusable abuse directed towards the Prime Minister.

While I acknowledge your right to an opinion, once again, where such opinion is clearly without substance, I decline discourse with you.
Posted by whistler, Saturday, 12 May 2012 5:28:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh come on Whistler, the worst government we have had in Queensland had women ministers coming out of the woodwork. I never bothered doing the math, but it seamed like there were hundreds of them.

There may not have been that many, perhaps it just felt that way, because they were always in the news making excuses for their failings.

Having had a total failure in Bleigh, what do they do, but get this silly little girl, with the funny name to replace her as leader, then another in her seat.

If ever there was a party with a death wish, it's got to be Labor.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 12 May 2012 6:17:48 PM
eyejaw, during the English summer of 1975 I was living homeless in London selling crayon drawings on card on the streets of Soho to earn a feed. Best free show in town was Parliament so I went along to the House of Commons and gained entry to the public gallery. I took a seat and commenced sketching, whereupon an attendant tapped me on the shoulder and informed me of a prohibition on the public recording of proceedings, including my artwork, so I took further pause to analyse the chamber. It was a full session. In front of me to my left sat three hundred or so, mostly men in brown lounge suits, the Labour Party, at the time in government, with Harold Wilson seated front and centre. To my right sat three hundred or so, mostly men in dark business suits, a solid block of shady hue. Front and centre was Margaret Thatcher, a few short years from becoming Prime Minister. In no democratic sense whatsoever did Mrs Thatcher represent a women's voice.

Margaret Thatcher was appointed by a massive majority of men to do precisely what that majority wanted her to do otherwise she would never have been considered for candidature to her local council let alone the office of Prime Minister. Women had virtually no say in her appointment or the undertaking of her duties whatsoever. With respect, disparage women’s predisposition to the exercise of power when massive majorities of women make appointments and enact policy, otherwise your comments reflect unfairly upon all women. Mrs Thatcher is certainly no exemplar for women, the notion is preposterous.

Thanks Hasbeen, Anna Bligh’s Cabinet was variously comprised (it changed) of around of five or six women and thirteen or so men with women mostly in junior portfolios. Rhrosty is on the money, and I must say it’s hilarious reading post after post by men disparaging women in power when the power they exercise is simply an extension of male privilege. Men can be so drop dead stupid sometimes!
Posted by whistler, Saturday, 12 May 2012 7:03:41 PM
Ahhhh come on whistler, not talking is not an adult way of addressing differences of oppinion.

It's typical of petulant pouting school kiddies.
Posted by imajulianutter, Saturday, 12 May 2012 7:05:30 PM
Ah, whistler - sometimes one comes upon a post that is a cut above the rest. Your last was just such a one. Well said!
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 12 May 2012 7:10:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13