The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > At the going down of the sun we will forget them > Comments

At the going down of the sun we will forget them : Comments

By Tess Lawrence, published 7/5/2012

The state of the service pension is not what our armed forces fought for.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I think that the procrastination of successive governments to pay proper conmpensation to the victims of the Voyager disaster is unforgivable. Is the government hoping that they can delay matters until all victims are dead?

And what about the dependants of the RAAF personnel whose 707 hit the waves off Jervis Bay, if I recall rightly?

It is a wonder that anyone in their right mind would sign up for service in our ADF knowing the miserable treatment that they and their dependants will get if killed or injured in the course of duty.

This taxpayer demands that these injustices be rectified now.
Posted by Kevo, Monday, 7 May 2012 11:20:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear KEVO, how right you are - and there is so much unfinished business in this field. Thank you for reminding us of some of them.
Posted by Tess Lawrence, Monday, 7 May 2012 12:58:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bravo Tess, passionate pages of the truth...the truth which is at last being unveiled. When my father, a WW1 and WW2 soldier, came home in his troop ship in 1919 all troops were given a letter saying they should not speak to their families about what they had lived through. He never did, and I imagine most others also remained silent. How many families had a good and silent father like mine, who never recovered mental health after three years on the Western Front? The Korean soldiers you cited are an incredible example of our governments' cruelty and miserable parsimony! Wives, husbands and babies are again being told the same old story..."it's noble to fight and die for one's country...we honour you on your return, and don't whine about the pittance we give you, after all, you get cheered on ANZAC Day and we do go to the funeral's of those who die, sitting solemnly in the front row."
You speak of returned soldiers' uniting to change this...bravo to them also. Another bright ray of hope is Soldier On [easily found on google]. Please join and support this vision of aid for returned men and women.
Posted by carol83, Monday, 7 May 2012 1:01:12 PM
Dear CAROL183, like many, your family has direct knowledge of the ongoing battles and demons that plague our defence personnel upon their return.

So thank you so much for putting this online. What damage those ridiculous suppression orders did - to the human beings involved and their families - and the wider community. It has a direct bearing on today, for sure.

I just don't get it Carol. The overall amount of money it would take to redress this injustice is piddling in comparison with other fundings.

Thanks for the heads up about SOLDIER ON, too.
Posted by Tess Lawrence, Monday, 7 May 2012 1:11:08 PM
Hi there TESS...

I'm a Veteran, on a 100% War Pension, and by and large I'm quite happy about the way DVA has treated most of us. Of course, I'm from the Vietnam era and on our return, many blokes were treated very badly by both the media as well as some members of the public.

However, as the years go by, I believe Veterans from my time, have received a great deal more respect and attention from DVA, than perhaps at any time previously.

I do agree however, that some Vets. do have legitimate reasons to complain. But if we were to compare ourselves to that of the British Vets. for example, we're way out in front, I reckon.

There are some US Veterans, who actually live on the street. I don't believe there would be too many eligable Aussie Vets. forced to live similar impoverished existences.

Anyway, it's just my opinion.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 7 May 2012 2:13:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O SUNG WU, I am so glad to read of your happy experience. Sadly, I know that has not been the case for thousands of your Veteran Brethren.

Here's a link to a story on Independent Australia entitled DIGGERS VERSUS THE GILLARD GOVERNMENT. You will find more than 2000 comments that represent ongoing dialogue between the Veterans and wider community. You will read for yourself, how many of them are in distress.

Among the last few comments posted, is one by KBHUSSELL. I encourage you to read it - and to go through as many of the other comments as you can.

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/exclusive-breaking-news-diggers-versus-the-gillard-government/
Posted by Tess Lawrence, Monday, 7 May 2012 2:29:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy