The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The power and the glory: Australia’s politicians face an upheaval > Comments

The power and the glory: Australia’s politicians face an upheaval : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 4/5/2012

The foundations of Australia's political parties have shifted, but the parties themselves have yet to shift.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
There seems to be a lot of pedantic must be's in this article? As for the merge of both conservative political parties? Why? I mean, wouldn't the Nats survive much further into the future, by cutting themselves adrift from the liberal party, which seems to have drifted further and further to the right; and further and further away from the views of most rural based communities?
As a quite separate party divorced from the extreme right wing libs; the nats would be able to form a balance of power alliance, with whomsoever they chose; given their objectives are both survival and pushing back against the political wilderness; and or, Katter and or a coalition of independents etc/etc? Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 4 May 2012 3:42:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That’s an awful lot of predictions. It will be interesting to see in five years’ time how close you came to the mark.

It is interesting that you are singing the praises of Christine Milne and commending Bob Brown. That’s not something I would have expected from an advocate of the Bradfield Scheme and similar massive expansionist projects. But then, the Greens have hardly been all that green, especially when it comes to the biggest green issue of all – continuous expansionism and sustainability.

Maybe that’s why you sort of like them?

<< So, it’s time to face the undeniable fact that neither of the major political parties in Australia is currently equipped to lead Australia into the future. >>

Yes!

But you haven’t given us any idea of how you would want them to change - about your desired political direction.

I would have thought this to be an essential part of your article. It is afterall the policies and philosophy that matter most.

I am adamant that no amount of reinvention will work if the major parties just keep worshipping continuous rapid expansionism and don’t get stuck right into developing a sustainable society, with a stable population and an essentially renewable energy and resource base.

I wonder if you agree or disagree? I’d hazard a guess that you strongly disagree.

<< Political donations must be banned totally from all sources, with funding to come from the public purse… >

YES indeed!

Again you surprise me. It is essential that governments become independent, or at least not as absurdly closely tied to big business and their vested-interest profit motive, which is a huge factor in driving continuous rapid expansionism and preventing a meaningful push for sustainability.

<< Unless political parties experience a total reformation, Parliament will become a place of utter disrespect. >>

Absolutely!
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 6 May 2012 8:24:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was unaware of anyone predicting the death of the ALP or nationals.

The ALP might be in serious trouble, but are a long way from obliteration.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 6 May 2012 10:39:23 PM
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=13582#234846

"the liberal party, which seems to have drifted further and further to the right"

Wait.... what ? For example, how does the plethora of welfare advocated by Abbot in anyway resemble "right" doctrine ... moving along.

I think we need to establish a baseline to actually have a discussion, the Libs have become very conservative, no longer liberal and definitely left of centre. Under Howard they went from barely acceptable, to reprehensible. They have taken over from the ALP who seem to have just floundered ? The Libs in no way represent small business, just one example, they bought in the GST which put huge compliance cost upon small business and helped make the tax act so complicated you need a bedroom to store the documentation.

It is interesting to watch Germany's democracy evolve, they seem to be on a better track, ours needs a complete reboot to bring it out of the 19th century, a time when communication was ineffective and a populous mostly uneducated.

That aside, the political jockeying mentioned in the Op Ed piece will see us with nothing but more of the same, though I decry this, the majority seem enamoured.

George Carlin is my goto guy on this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchPDhk
Posted by Valley Guy, Sunday, 13 May 2012 12:08:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy