The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia’s close security relationship with the US is indeed logical > Comments

Australia’s close security relationship with the US is indeed logical : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 24/4/2012

The US Alliance brings more right than wrong to the world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Chris:
When you are talking about a “liberal democracy”, are you talking about the Abbott led party or real liberal thinkers?
If you do mean the Abbott led party, then you are doing a bit of wishful thinking when they are the handmaidens of Capitalism.
The other point is that you and others tend to talk about “lefties” as if it is an affliction of even a curse when in fact even though I do not label myself as a leftie (or anything else for that matter), I do hold for principles of fair play and equality for all. I am not for small or even no tax for the rich, profit is everything and to hell with the weak and poor.
Our system has tended to give us rule by the corporations for their own benefits, brought about by “donations” to political parties to buy the desired result.
Posted by sarnian, Wednesday, 25 April 2012 4:16:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is not logical considering the National Defence Authorisation Act,Patriot Act,legalised assassination and now attempted censorship of the internet.The USA is following China's model.

Why align ourselves with any totalitariarn country?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 25 April 2012 4:39:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris,

I've posted this article before - not sure if you've seen it...but it's an interesting read.

http://www.newleftreview.org/?page=article&view=2914
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 25 April 2012 5:10:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I cannot believe some of the comments on this thread. Are all humans afflicted with selective memory or selective forgetfulness? Or do we just not think things through sufficiently before leaping in?

Do we all forget that China was backing communist North Vietnam, and we and others had a real concern at the possibility of a 'Domino Effect' in the expansion of Communism through to our front door? And, that it was China backing North Korea? And in the Malaya Campaign? And, how about Tiananmen Square and the Democracy movement?

As for Russia - it is far from spent, and doesn't have much of track record in human rights or its regard for its neighbours or other nations. Afghanistan, Chechnya, Siberia, Ukraine, etc.

We in Aus are small potatoes, and it is only by hiding in the skirts of the US, UK and Europe that has enabled us to have a RELATIVELY trouble free time getting on with our own interests. What, 23.5 million? If we wanted to go it alone, 103.5% even 200% of our GDP would hardly scratch the surface - we can't even prevent a few junk boats invading our territory.

Think it is a peaceful world? We've lost 32 in Afghanistan? And I don't remember how many in Iraq, but how many did we lose in Gallipoli? (Let alone in the rest of our overseas campaigns.)

We are currently a substantially Anglo society, by virtue of origins and history, and by virtue or our alliances. Capitalism and our form of democracy, and that of our major allies, may not be a perfect system, but it is way better than most of the current alternatives.

Want a major change in alliances? Better start learning Chinese, and learning how to be a coolie. (Who doesn't know when they're well off?)

Sure, there's a better system out there somewhere, but we can only suggest, hope the major powers will wake up before peak EVERYTHING, and look to our own failings before being too critical of others.
Posted by Saltpetre, Thursday, 26 April 2012 1:24:49 AM
Saltpetre,

1. I am more terrified of a drone strike in my back yard than I am of "communism" whatever that word means.

2. North Vietnam won the war and today we have a "communist" Vietnam that is no threat to anyone and as far as I know not subjugating its people as for instance are US supported dictatorships like Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the Egyptian military. (Cuba is another example of a "communist" regime that is no threat to anyone.)

I don't think anyone is saying China is a shining angel to whom we should attach ourselves - merely that we should detach ourselves from the very obviously not shining angel, the US
Posted by kulu, Thursday, 26 April 2012 1:12:08 PM
The U.S. is attempting to dominate the whole world using military force. Anyone who can't see this hasn't been paying attention.

There are other nations in the world who reject American imperialism as well they should. Australia should be one of them. America's warmongering is forcing an arms race which will eventually lead to WW3.

Is that what you war-lovers want, a nuclear war and extinction? Australia needs to divorce itself from the U.S. and declare itself neutral ASAP!

We live in an area of the world where the U.S. doesn't belong. We need to develop friends not create enemies!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 26 April 2012 2:03:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy