The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The intergalactic musings of Senator Bob Brown > Comments

The intergalactic musings of Senator Bob Brown : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 16/4/2012

Getting back to nature is not necessarily the same as being well-grounded.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
When we said to our sarcastic High School English teacher, ‘sarcasm is the lowest form of wit’, she snapped, ‘sarcasm is not a form of wit’. And indeed it is not, it is a way of being nasty while pretending you’re being funny. And when people complain about it you can sneer, ‘Can’t you take a joke?’
Instead of seeing the poetry and imagination in Bob Brown’s analogies, and understanding the truth of his message, that if we were renting the planet we’d never get our bond back, and probably be sued for trashing the place beyond repair, Babette attacks the messenger instead of attacking the problem that she doesn’t want to know about.
And what a put down of Indians to imagine that they’d vote for her just because she’s an Indian, rather than because of policies! Apropos of that, if everyone on Earth [or even in Australia] had one vote that counted, we would probably not be in this mess. It is because of election fraud and the denial of proportional representation that the bully girls and boys win and rape the planet.
Posted by ybgirp, Wednesday, 18 April 2012 7:22:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ybgirp,

Hear, hear!
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 18 April 2012 8:10:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must confess that when I read the retiring Senator's speech, my first thought was "at last, he is displaying his true nature". Until that moment, he was masquerading as a politician, while in his real life he is a dreamer, a poet, a hopeless idealist who would happily live in the wilderness eating roots and leaves. Our home-grown Thoreau. Persuasive in his imagery, but ultimately more picturesque than useful.

An attitude, by the way, with which I have no argument. There is absolutely no harm, as an individual, in having in mind for the human race some kind of prelapsarian innocence in Edenic surroundings. The problem occurs when these visions are translated into political policies, at which point they clash horribly with the nasty imperfections of real human societies.

Politicians owe it to their country to live in the present, and to make the best decisions for the nation based upon their citizens' wishes. If those wishes give "life on earth", say, ten more generations of living well, as opposed to twenty more generations living in mud huts and eating rice, then they should be respected.

A little more realism, and a little less dreaming, is going to be critically important to the next few generations and their way of life.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 18 April 2012 9:23:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Prelapsarian! Pericles what a wondrous word evoking innocent men and women living in perfect harmony and plenitude in the natural world in which they evolved... and yet you don't want to go back there! You prefer to live in polluted air, eating poisoned food, drinking toxic water, in vast mega cities riddled with crime, corruption, violence and bigotry - as most of the world's population do, or in miserable, unserviced shanty towns and devastated villages slowly dying of disease and starvation thanks to the predations of wealthy war mongering 'developed' countries. You're either brave or foolish... perhaps both.
Posted by ybgirp, Wednesday, 18 April 2012 10:12:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nope, ybgirp. Neither.

>>You're either brave or foolish... perhaps both.<<

Just practical.

Y'know, feet on the ground practical. Reality-based practical. Even boringly, unsentimentally practical, if you like.

But I'm always prepared to listen to dreamers. If you can even hint at a way in which your world of innocence and abundance can be reached, I'll be the first to applaud.

In the meantime, though, I'll probably elect not to hold my breath, if that's ok with you.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 18 April 2012 10:29:28 AM
Actually now you come to mention it Babette, there are disturbing parallels between the Australian Greens and the Dooms Day Cult of the USA. For those of you who may have missed it, the Dooms Dayers believed that the mothership would be passing Earth and that the select would be called to join it – the only catch was that to board the space ship you had to take poison.

The Greens version of the cult is the select will inherit a future world ruled by a world parliament. But to join the elect in this jolly green Eden you have to take poison:
--You have to adopt a Carbon Tax that no one else in the world will touch with a barge pole,and
--You have to open your borders to all and sundry.

And just as an aside:If you don’t want to be outvoted in the egalitarian Green commune of the future, you’d better plan on having 20 or more kids.
Posted by SPQR, Wednesday, 18 April 2012 11:40:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy