The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The atheist convention: a missed opportunity > Comments

The atheist convention: a missed opportunity : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 16/4/2012

It is a pity that new atheists are fixated on the futile question of the existence of a God.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I think I can save Peter some trouble, so in the spirit of amicable co-operation, let me hereby announce the existence of my new deity, Frazz. Like Peter's God, Frazz goes nowhere, does nothing and speaks to nobody. But unlike Peter's God, Frazz doesn't have an embarrassing back-story of genocide and family issues for atheists and other non-Christians to pick awkward holes in.

Feel free to switch allegiance, Peter. And while you're at it, do you think I could get a gig for five hundred words on OO about the awesomeness of Frazz -- who is, after all, a deity no less plausible than your own?
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 16 April 2012 12:28:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's continually amusing to hear atheists claiming the rational high ground and then proceeding to act as though ridicule were a substitute for intelligent discourse.
Posted by Trav, Monday, 16 April 2012 12:51:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On this article, I had the same reaction as I often do when reading Sellick- sometimes I'd be nodding along, but soon after I'd be shaking my head saying "What?".

I have read numerous articles of his and still don't think I fully appreciate or understand his theology. Still, I welcome his contributions to OLO. The same cannot be said of many of the atheists around here. Some are sensible contributors, but unfortunatly many are not.
Posted by Trav, Monday, 16 April 2012 12:54:23 PM
Perhaps Trav, it's because we see nothing rational in any argument the theists make. Remember there have been hundred of different gods that have been prayed to throughout history and they have all been believed in by their protagonists. They can't all be right. Most religions are accepted and ingrained during formative years and so generally speaking it becomes a geographical accident by way of where one is born.The philosophy is often good but I have trouble believing the mythology and superstition that goes with it.
Posted by snake, Monday, 16 April 2012 1:08:31 PM
Perhaps the atheists should seriously consider real questions such as these. Which are very much the same kind of childhood stories that are associated with the stories that we tell our children about "jesus".

How does the tooth fairy know when any and every particular child puts a pulled tooth out in anticipation of the tooth fairy's visit? And of course what does the tooth fairy do with all of those teeth?

How does Santa manage to visit every house in the world in a period of 24 hours? How does he gain entry into houses which do have chimneys? How does he know which gifts to give every particular child? Where does he keep his reindeer, and what kind of breeding program does he have in place to replace the reindeers that inevitably die? Or perhaps they are somehow immortal?

How does the Easter rabbit manage to produce so many Easter eggs especially as rabbits do not lay eggs, especially ones covered in colored silver foil. And why chocolate "eggs", especially as chocolate
"eggs" did not exist when this folk tradition emerged.

Does "jesus" also save ducks? Especially black ones with attitude!
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 16 April 2012 2:34:35 PM
Oh - and I forgot! Does "jesus" save postage stamps too?
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 16 April 2012 2:37:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy