The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Turnbull is an underutilised asset > Comments

Turnbull is an underutilised asset : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 13/4/2012

Tony Abbott should shake up his front bench and put Turnbull into the treasury role

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The problem for Turnbull is that he is the member for Wentworth. This seat has a large number of libertines. For Turnbull to win his seat he has to appear socially progressive or moderate, a position which sends chills up the spines of his party's base. Turnbull should consider running in a different seat (if that's even possible) so he can freely take a traditional, steak & veg, build-your-kids-a-cubby-house, family values, social position and by doing so, not alienate 99% of the people that vote conservative. How can Turnbull be taken seriously on economics while being unable to mention that family breakdown will be the number one economic challenge of the 21st century? Beats me.
Posted by progressive pat, Friday, 13 April 2012 11:37:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pat if you are right, it would be much better to let the seat go. An even better idea would be to let Turnbull go with it,

Malcolm for what ever his reason, Turnbull has shown disloyalty in, as a shadow minister, expressing opinions contrary to party policy. There is no excuse for this.

He also appears to have many ideas contrary to party policy. In this he must be either a lier, pandering to his electorate if Pat is right, or a dill to hold those ideas. It really doesn't matter much which, he is a liability to the Libs, & should be chucked out.

As for his "talent" it must all be in your head, & perhaps his back side. You only have to look back to his stupidity in the agreement with Rudd on a carbon trading scheme, or his lack of ability on the constitutional convention to see he is too weak a man to be of much use to government.

He is not even much good at hiding his interest in the big end of town, rather than the Oz population in general.

Wasted talent? More likely a fifth column in an otherwise good team.

Did you notice, I don't like him much? Too much the clone of Rudd for my likings, & certainly not someone to trust.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 13 April 2012 1:40:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Turnbull's support for the Carbon Tax makes him a liability while there is an electorate which is desperate to get rid of the economically destructive Green ideology. He is intelligent, a good debater but picks losing ideas and is reluctant to let them go. He may be an potential asset but s somewhat of a loose cannon. I'd be nervous about promoting him if I were in Abbott's position.
Posted by Atman, Friday, 13 April 2012 2:05:46 PM
A loose cannon; isn't that how you would describe Abbott. Turnbull is a neglected talent. He should be the forman.
Big Joe has confirmed he has trouble with figures, and Abbott doesn't know anything about an economy.
I do not know haw the coalition can put up with the pair of them, i would have thought they would have been moved on by now.
Posted by 579, Friday, 13 April 2012 3:09:05 PM
Malcolm Turnbull lost the Liberal leadership by only one vote. This hardly signifies being out of favour with party members. It is always the ultra-right conservatives who make the loudest noise but that does not mean they are 'the voice' of the Coalition heartland.

The only time one hears negatice comments about a politician offering an opinion contrary to his/her party is when they disagree.

Being honest and open should be applauded.

Whether Turnbull means what he says is anyone's guess but like all politician the mug public can only judge by actions and while he is in Opposition that is a bit difficult. I might disagree with Turnbull particularly on his pro-nuclear stance but at least he is not afraid to speak up. Even Abbott once said of 'dissenters' that the Liberal party is a broad church and is about free speech and airing ideas.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 13 April 2012 3:19:20 PM
Wasn't it Keating who said Turnbull lacked judgement?
He lacked judgement by taking on the leadership of the Libs too soon. Once made leader, he lacked judgement by attacking Rudd in the Godwin Grech affair and again by backing Rudd in Rudd's climate debacle.
But he is a great talent, eminently saleable to the electorate, and even a wealthy MP from Wentworth can learn. As Treasurer he would do wonders for Abbott's chances at the next election. He would add legitimacy in the economic sphere.
Abbott is not as home free as some would like to believe, would like us to believe. If he runs with the crew he now has, Gillard just might do him.
Don't underestimate Gillard's cunning. Look what she did with the position of Foreign Minister.
Posted by halduell, Friday, 13 April 2012 3:33:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy