The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mystery and memory at Easter > Comments

Mystery and memory at Easter : Comments

By David Cusworth, published 8/4/2012

The ancients did not write stories as factual history, but yet they can be true.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
When all is said and done, it's "humans" who are responsible for war and death, they who fashion religion and pursue knowledge, and yet are unable to cast off their penchant to savagery directed at their fellow man or their assault on the environment that sustains life..
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 9:09:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
in hind sight..let me recant
he arose...time traveled to that year..[you were there]

but he didnt have the buss fare,...[cause you didnt jump the fence]
so he wated at the bus station..[but didnt have a travel permit]
didnt have papers...etc..no cash

is there a messiah complex...thing
linked with..je-ruse-all-0-em..you know that people think and claim to be jesus..[what if jesus came today..mumbling mumbo jumbo talk from his day]

whould he have been 'put away'
could he have gotten on the bus
would he hitchhike...im in envey

but me
i would have stood at the gate
and broken it down

so close
but vile is so vile

i note also..they placed a cemetary..
at the gate..from which the messiah must emerge
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5064&page=0

but again...no one wanted to attend the feast
[25 th december...cast psalms...at the right gate
he will emmerge..not onto a cemetry..but a river of collective psalms singing..[to the one god..of which he spake]

if we got it together
we do it..he will come

re-unite the christs divided house!
so he..can re-unite the fathers divided houses

i thought it was worth a go
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 9:17:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John J,
Graham is right - I don't have a direct line to God, I just happened to be in the right place and time and experienced a moment of clarity. The rest is based on a lifetime of reading and thinking. You should try Jerusalem some time, it's a fascinating place. But if you can't tell the difference between Khameini, Kony and bin Laden, maybe the 'empirical investigation' is best left to others.
Happy Easter!
Posted by Cuz, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 10:53:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cuz - speaking of monsters why not Google Henry the Eighth as Monster.
Henry was of course instrumental in founding what is now the Anglican church.
And then there was the never-ending monstrousity of European colonialism which was effectively "authorized" in the name of "god" via the papal bulls of 1455 and 1493.
And what about the British empire? That was all justified by the bogus claim of bringing "god", "Jesus" and "civilization" to the "heathen savages".
The brutal ugly reality of all of that is described in the book by Richard Gott titled Britain's Empire.

And no Graham, something "powerful" did not happen 2000 years ago. The only reason that Christian-ISM as a power-and-control-seeking ideology became the world dominant religion is that it was coopted by the Roman state and was thus inevitably spread and imposed all over the world via the point of a sword, the (loud) mouths of cannons and maxim guns.

Chairman Mao got one thing right, namely that power grows out of the barrel of a gun. This includes worldly "religion" power.

Meanwhile collectively the "catholic" church is the worlds third largest property owner - Jesus of course owned nothing and as far as we know was highly critical of the worldly powers of his time including the then in power ecclesiastical establishment and their nit-picking pharisees.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 11:01:56 AM
'Jesus of course owned nothing and as far as we know was highly critical of the worldly powers of his time including the then in power ecclesiastical establishment and their nit-picking pharisees'.
Glad to see you endorse the historical Jesus, Daffy. His life challenges us to do better. We're all still learning, hence all the sad events in our history. May he be an inspiration to you, too.
Posted by Cuz, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 12:19:19 PM
Daffy Duck:

As far as I can understand your posts, your argument seems to rest largely on contradictions forged in the service of your own ideology.

You begin by trying to portray Jesus and his life-story as a deliberate fabrication, thus:
<<Jesus was thus a mythologized and interpreted figure, and on the basis of that myth alone people have presumed that Jesus was an actual concrete historical figure.>>

Later in an effort to counter Graham’s criticism you try to make factual statements about Jesus and his life-story, thus:
<<Jesus of course owned nothing and as far as we know was highly critical of the worldly powers of his time including the then in power ecclesiastical establishment and their nit-picking pharisees.>>

Similarly, you first present a picture of Christianity and other “essentially political world religions” as institutions with the primary purpose of seeking power over the global masses, and then say that it was actually “Christian-ISM” (not the religion) that became the world’s oppressor.

I can only agree with much of what you say about the scriptures as inadmissible historical evidence, even though all that (and much more) has been made clear by biblical scholars long ago. Nevertheless, to dwell in the narrative, rather than building propositional truths on the history, is important to me and to many others who worship Christ. The pursuit of objective truth is not our main focus; we seek rather to be true.

Of course, would-be wielders of worldly power are only too ready to seize propositions as the dogmatic basis for an ideology that they can enforce as the rampart of their dominion. That is the drive of fundamentalism—in all its religious and non-religious varieties.
Posted by crabsy, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 12:20:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy