The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The problem of youth unemployment > Comments

The problem of youth unemployment : Comments

By Fiona Heinrichs, published 5/4/2012

The young face the highest unemployment rate with 18.5 percent of the 18 – 24 year old workforce unemployed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Sad to say some of these 'job-seekers' are hardly worth employing. Many have a false sense of entitlement and poor work ethic. Some wake up to themselves after a good jolt or two but others just don't get it. Too many seem to have been raised & educated with scant regard to manners and responsibility and with unrealistic sense of achievement.

Is this immaturity? To some point I'd say yes, but 10 years ago the young employee asked to take out the rubbish would not protest he/she didn't like that task and why couldn't someone else do it?

Recently my 31 yr old daughter who is a manager lamented along similar lines and commented, "I believe mine was the last generation to have a work ethic!"

Not saying all young people are like this - only a disconcertingly significant and growing (or so it seems) minority.

I think it's about time parents and schools hardened up a bit and turned out a product with a little less sense of "ME"
Posted by divine_msn, Thursday, 5 April 2012 4:26:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Youth unemployment stems from coming into the workforce to late.
Why does everyone have to be schooled till they are 18 or more.
Trades should start at 15 or 16, and not be an adult to start an apprenticeship.
Family groups have fallen apart, and their kids, don't know how to handle that.
The mining boom is promoting unemployment. QLD and WA are the states with the highest youth unemployment.
Mining is in overdrive, and like any other economy, to quick a growth, is not good.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 5 April 2012 5:15:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

'The mining boom is promoting unemployment. QLD and WA are the states with the highest youth unemployment.'

do you ever read the drivel you write.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 5 April 2012 5:40:37 PM
19th birthday start national Service, 21st birthday finish national Service.
End result, youth unemployment to almost zero. Discipline is up, a vast improvement in our society. Young adults will have some direction & less of a burden on the rest.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 April 2012 10:04:45 PM
Just like in my last online engagement, the youth are seeing the point of our volumes. The greed of our human development is now biting the very cause of our donkey/carrot simplicities that made the world in pushing the cash in front of sensibility thinkings.

More people in the world don't mean a greater future....and at 7 billion, I think the capitalist have something to answer to.

The/we..have nothing to worry about....why?.....cause we are not in charge....they are:)......just sit back and wait....there the adults.

Smile
Posted by planet 3, Thursday, 5 April 2012 11:16:24 PM
Yes! you all have a point about a small peace of the puzzle, who is looking at the big picture, yes you can move west, big bucks to be made, i know i,ve seen it, i happen to be fine with out it, i for one look on a lateral basis, you can always get what you want if you are prepared to work for it, people say i can't do that. Well bull, your brain is a muscle and it depends if you want to be a fatty or a fitness finatic. i wonce had sufficient funds and got devorced and had to start over. your knowledge never goes away so you pick yourself up & start over. Remember the principle of life, you work, you get collateral, you swap collateral for what you need, you work some more and you get more of what you need. Thats life, call it barter, economics or just plain life. the trouble is a lot of the now generation do not want to get started. they think mum & dad should give it to you. Well get a life and stop distroying theirs. todays politics are wimps & are too scared to make a real difference. todays population are scared of change & we crusify any party the makes change wether good or bad. so give it time we are slowly distroying the country. and why you blood suckers continue to exploit and steal from your family and friends, eventually you will not have anything to exploit and the have not's will take it back, only not in a nice way
Posted by wanderer-001, Friday, 6 April 2012 1:53:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy